Tiger X install problems,anyone? Comments?

I

IChing

Install was painless and non-eventful.

I like the improvement to sherlock, the translator, maybe it was there before but never saw it, is nice

The widgets are fun but not a big deal yet, winkpedia is a nice free download for my widget
I like that in safari when you highlight a word you can get a definition from the dictionary if you want.

I see greater speed on safari and on my adobe applications.

C

code777

oh boy one of my friends is flippin' - looks like 3rd party software is not compatible with Tiger yet. He just said he wanted to burn a movie using Popcorn and it crashes when trying to load the movie...

regarding the information detail my other friend explained it like this:

Tiger can't display the full information for the remaining space of a large hard drive on the desktop.

Both of them are referring back to 10.3.9 for now as they made CC's - yikes??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I tried Tiger in the local Apple store. Simply outstanding and I can't wait! :alien:

Reaction score
code777 said:
oh boy one of my friends is flippin' - looks like 3rd party software is not compatible with Tiger yet. He just said he wanted to burn a movie using Popcorn and it crashes when trying to load the movie...

regarding the information detail my other friend explained it like this:

Tiger can't display the full information for the remaining space of a large hard drive on the desktop.

Both of them are referring back to 10.3.9 for now as they made CC's - yikes??

What do you mean "Tiger can't display the information detail", seems to work just fine on my system.

"Capacity 93.03 gb and 87.77 available used 5.26 gb"

Shows the same info for all three drives i have, or are you talking about something else?

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I just reinstalled tiger just to see if it would correct the glitch but it's still a different # it now says under HD icon
233.64BG,........69GB free
but it says (when I do command i for HD)
233.64,GB.......218.68GB available. Now is this meaning something different because in info it uses the term "available" but under icon it uses the term " free "
DID THAT MAKE SENSE ? ;)

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I found the problem it was using the wrong startup disk, just had to select Mac OS X, 10.4 on the volume "iMac G5 HD" phew!
Now it reads correctly
233.64GB, 218.7GBfree . My,My worried over nothing ;)

C

code777

James said:
What do you mean "Tiger can't display the information detail", seems to work just fine on my system.

"Capacity 93.03 gb and 87.77 available used 5.26 gb"

Shows the same info for all three drives i have, or are you talking about something else?

i'm not sure, he should come here and post an image but i guess my friends aren't "true" mac freaks as they don't "do" mac forums
:dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
code777 said:
i'm not sure, he should come here and post an image but i guess my friends aren't "true" mac freaks as they don't "do" mac forums
:dummy:

HERESY!

S

speziak

Major Problems With Tiger and Dlink DI-784 Router

iNAP said:
I just thought I would start a thread to see if anyone has problems and or suggestions for Tiger. I have not installed yet but it's right here.I thought I'd give it a few hours of seeing if any unexpected things are going on ;)
So, if you have seemed to run into problems or questions, lets hear them, please?

About 3 hours ago I completed a clean install of Tiger on a G4 Titanium Powerbook (1Ghz) The install was uneventful. After connecting to my wireless network I launched Mail to see the enhancements (currently use Entourage) and dloaded some emails.

Then I seemed to lose my connection to the wireless network. And so did everything else; my voIP phones were dead (hardwired to the router), my G5 Imac was unable to connect and same story with my PC, essentially my router was completely disabled.

I started troubleshooting this: turned off the airport card on my Powerbook and within 20 seconds, every other device was up and running. I opened my Powerbook and turned on the airport card. If found my network, connected, then seemed to lose the connection as the bars went gray but I still saw the network was checked off in the drop down box.

And once again, I lost connectivity, my router was completely disabled, even unable to be reached by its IP address.

FYI, this DI-784 had worked beautifully for months, had all the latest firmware updated, never even needed to be rebooted and I was using 128-bit encryption.

I then reinintialized the router, no encryption, all default settings.

Same thing.

I then tried to connect the Powerbook to the router with a cable (and with airport off). Same thing.

This machine had worked beautifully with this router when the machine was using Panther. Suddenly my entire network crashed to a halt with the Panther install.

I called Dlink first. They were awful. Went through all the motions, and they said it was Apple's fault.

Called Apple and spoke to a couple of people and did a couple of tests. Essentially, we got no answers as to how this could happen.

Luckily I had a new Netgear router in a box and that is how everything is now working but I now have hours of configuring to do to get my home network safe and to get my voIP phones working well again. That took so much tweaking! :)

So, if you know someone who has a DI-784 router and you have the same machine I do, chances are that you can walk into their home or office and bring their entire network crashing to a halt.

I know this sounds ridiculous, how can a wireless connection bring a router down, but it happened to me, consistently (over 10 times) after my installation of Tiger.

Other than that, it is working perfectly and looks very feature-rich.

Speziak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I installed Tiger last night, and it went smoothly. I did an upgrade installation.

The OS seems pretty cool. The widgets are handy, and Mail is nicer.

Tiger broke my installation of Virtual PC 6, but other than that, everything else seems to be working fine.

The one thing that still bugs the daylights out of me is the fact that the iCal icon still shows that stupid July 17 date. They should have changed the icon in my opinon.

C

code777

iNAP said:
What does that mean?

well it relates to religion / catholic i think but i think a simple definition is A controversial or unorthodox opinion...

my friends are just lazy, they should just join the forum here.

last IM one of my friends reverted to 10.3.9 to burn his DVDs but he still loves Tiger just that a lot of his 3rd party apps do not work with Tiger. and some other small glitches with Tiger that aren't that big of a deal yet i guess.

C

code777

OK can not take it anymore. Must get Tiger. I thought I was gonna last for a week or two but after testing it out all last night on my friend's iMac I can't wait. Ahhhhhhhhh.

But I just hope the minor bugs get fixed soon. And they truly are minor. The Toast thing bothers me and I hope OnyX puts out an update ASAP.

D

d-funct

I've had a few problems with tiger ... I did an upgrade from 10.3.9 and it somehow managed to lose my user directory as well as the actual user login ... I then found it on the hdd and copied the contents across and my airport stopped working ... and now I've finally got everything to work I've noticed that things are taking quite a long time to load up and that there is a LOT of hdd activity when I load ANY app ... oh and for some reason I don't have the archive + install option just the upgrade ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A quick update to my upgrade...

Evidently, Virtual PC 6 has broken with every major release of OSX. The problem is that virtual switch networking stops working. I am not sure exactly what this does, but I was able to fix this by saving the Windows/VPC disk image and reinstalling VPC. The error still comes up, but everything seems to be working normally.

I don't want to upgrade to VPC 7 because I don't use it that much and it's not worth the price.

Second note:

Supposedly, hitting F12 gets you to the dashboard. This doesn't work on my iBook. (F12 is already assigned to eject disks anyway.) I tried reassigning it to F7 and that doesn't work either. Has anyone else noticed this? I just reassigned my lower left corner as an Active Corner for Dashboard, and that works.

C

crispeto

I am using F8 for dashboard and it works on my ibook. I also did the upgrade for Tiger and everything works perfectly. The only thing that didn't work is Transparentdock and I switched over to Cleardock and it works great! Other than that, everything works perfectly.

C

code777

Just got Tiger updated on my iMac G5 and what a joy. Testing it as I type. No issues yet. I did not do the clean install but rather the upgrade install. I did a CC of my 10.3.9 just in case I need to revert back to it.

My Transparent Dock is gone so does anyone know of any clear dock that supports 10.4 yet???

OnyX does not work yet.

Toast 6 Titanium seems to be working normal.

No issues so far but will report if I get any. Overall so far I am happy with Tiger. A lot snappier in Safari and overall system performance *seems* faster as well. My friends are jealous as they were having issues with their upgrade. But maybe it has to do with me having a G5? All my friends have G4s (iMacs and Powerbooks) no idea.

Will keep everyone posted on my end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Very Minor issue ~ some of my internet setting went back to default after Archive & Install. A couple of clicks put that right.
Love Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
Installed on Friday. Regular Upgrade option. Having problems with Safari (see my other post, plese) and iPhoto now also. Everything else looks great, and I'm sure there will be fixes on the way from Apple ASAP.

P

Papadelta

I did a simple upgrade and everything seemed to load fine. However, I could not print to my wife's OfficeJet 6110. When I try to print, it stops after a few seconds and says "printing stopped". I tried downloading the latrest drivers to no avail.

I'm also haveing a problem syncing to my iMate (pocketpc) with PocketMac.

Other than that it seems to run faster and it certainly feels nicer with all the new gadgets.

If I can get some help on the printer and i-Mate sync I'll be happy as a puppy. I love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.