Thunderbolt or USB-C for my monitor?

Reaction score
I just got a new Mac M1 Mini and a LG UltraFine 27" 5K monitor which I've connected via Thunderbolt and it looks fantastic. But I was curious if there'd be any image quality loss/issues if I were to connect via USB-C? I do photo editing work so image quality is a high priority. Thanks in advance for any insights.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very personal view - stick with what you’ve got.

As you said “it looks fantastic”.:);)

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
A very personal view - stick with what you’ve got.

As you said “it looks fantastic”.:);)

Ian
I hear that. But I'm trying to turn my previous iMac into a 2nd monitor with Luna Display and it's not working. Checking the troubleshooting list, a possible reason is the high bandwidth requirements of 5K/Thunderbolt.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OK. I’m sorry, but you never mentioned anything about using your old iMac as a second monitor. It was just about your new MI Mini and the LG 5K monitor.

With your new info, you’re correct, it will take some experimentation with cables and bandwidth. And I think your turning the old iMac into a Luna display may not be easy or possible. Wiser counsel than I may offer better than I can on this.

As to your first post & question, we seem agreed that you stick with your Thunderbolt connection.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.