Thunderbolt 2-3 connection hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Hi,

I am poking around at options for connecting my "old" 2011 iMac to my "new" iMac 2017. I keep coming across instructions about using Thunderbolt. That would go from the TB2 on the old machine to the TB3 on the new one. Hopefully there is an affordable option for that. Poking around on the Internet I get a bit confused about the minimum that will do the job.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,

I am poking around at options for connecting my "old" 2011 iMac to my "new" iMac 2017. I keep coming across instructions about using Thunderbolt. That would go from the TB2 on the old machine to the TB3 on the new one. Hopefully there is an affordable option for that. Poking around on the Internet I get a bit confused about the minimum that will do the job.

Suggestions? Advice?
Hi Bob - chuckling about your 'new' iMac 2017 - assume an older used iMac? Thunderbolt 2 was not around long and interconnections w/ other port types is not always easy - I have an 'old' MacAir (2016) w/ a TB 2 port and have used for just an EHD TM backup. BUT, before more suggestions are given, please tell us what you need to do? For example, simply transferring files or are your transitioning from the 'old' to the 'new' iMac? Also, what other ports are available on your two iMacs? Thanks - Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Hi Dave,

I am basically dealing with not even web browsers are remaining compatible with High Sierra. Also, the old machine seems to have developed problems in software and/or file system. Lots of odd and lengthy stuff going on, etc. Backups both to TM and a hard drive starting getting errors (although somehow a try with the TM yesterday resulted in a VERY long run but seeming to complete eventually.

I am REALLY trying to preserve everything on the old machine, particularly the relly large mail files - they go back through about three computer generation (I use POP for my main mail to do that). I am trying to be as careful as I possibly can be to minimize the risk of loss. Say through a failure in something like First Aid or whatever file system repair.

It would be nice to use both computers networked together to get a files, or maybe target mode so the new one sees the disk on the old one.

At the moment the old one has two monitors going through DVI to TB/TB2 adapters. There are also USB 2 ports and a few others on the old machine. I beleive the "new" one has USB 3 ports and two TB3 ports (USB C?).

BYW I noticed stuff about setting up a local network. As I understand it that would use the Ethernet connections. Both machines have their Ethernet connected to the Verizon FiOS "router". I poked into that but did not succeed to getting a working scheme, The ideal on that would be the machines seeing each other as well as the rest of the Ethernet setup.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, you mention TB2 was not around all that long. Actually I am unclear if I should be saying TB2 or just original TB (nor if it makes a difference). Just to be sure System Report shows this:

Thunderbolt Bus:
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: iMac
UID: 0x0001000A1A8FECE
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 25.1
Domain UUID: AA15BE2B-4CE1-7B56-9ADF-6B1899DD7F1F

Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
Receptacle: 1
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

Port:
Receptacle: 2

I have always been curious about that report not showing that displays connecting with DVI to TB adapters are connected to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave, you mention TB2 was not around all that long. Actually I am unclear if I should be saying TB2 or just original TB (nor if it makes a difference). Just to be sure System Report shows this:

Thunderbolt Bus:
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: iMac
UID: 0x0001000A1A8FECE
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 25.1
Domain UUID: AA15BE2B-4CE1-7B56-9ADF-6B1899DD7F1F

Port:
Receptacle: 1

Port:
Receptacle: 2

I have always been curious about that report not showing that displays connecting with DVI to TB adapters are connected to them.
Hi Bob - well, not a TB expert at all, but in this Wiki Article, the original TB was first introduced in 2011 and TB 2 released in 2013 commercially, so the original versions goes back a while, thus I assume your 2011 has the first TB, if the connection is present on that device?

About your devices NOT showing when connected (assume to your TB port) - the first two pics below are from my old 2015 MacAir, on the second image I attached my OWC TB backup drive (assume it has a TB controller?) and still states 'no device connected' - what does that mean? The external drive works perfectly w/ that port and is mounted in disk utility. Out of curiosity, I connected one of my external SSDs via USB-C to my new M2 MacAir - the third pic still states 'no device connected'; now the drive is not a TB device, if important. We may need some input from a member more familiar with Thunderbolt? Dave :)

TB1.png TB2.png TB3.png

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, a TB expert would be helpful, but I suspect is not critical to my underlying question. I think it was the move from TB2 to TB3 that brought on the different connector. TB3&4 use the USBC style.

Of corse both machines are on Ethernet too but I don't know what is possible and how to communicate through that path.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, a TB expert would be helpful, but I suspect is not critical to my underlying question. I think it was the move from TB2 to TB3 that brought on the different connector. TB3 and 4 use the USBC style. TB 1 & 2 uses a different one.

Of corse both machines are on Ethernet too but I don't know what is possible and how to communicate through that path.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.