Thost big 'ol iMac screens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The screens are widescreen remember, so in effect you have a tall, thin browser window. Stretching it widthways will just create two white bands on either side.

Everybody used to cope fine with 14" monitors in the old days, but OS X in particular makes good use of massive monitors because it's geared towards switching back and forth between different apps and keeping them all visible for easy switching.

I think it's a designer think. PC people used to sit and work on Word for hours, and maybe switch to Excel after lunch or whatever. But designers need to design a logo in Illustrator for example, quickly switch to Quark, place and adjust and then do some tweaks in Photoshop. Switching to one screen each is limiting - you need to compare two windows side by side often.

I don't think even Vista is much different in its approach than XP and so is wasteful if it's using a widescreen monitor.

Reaction score
That is a very good point about the widescreen monitors on iMacs. I've been using my dads laptop mainly since my PC blew up and that has a 17" widescreen on it and your right, on most webpages you do get a band on either side and everything in the middle so seems theres not much point in going fullscreen.

I've been using programs in windows rather than full screen today and yesterday and am slowly getting used to it, still a bit weird but I am just about managing to do work!

I think another thing that might help is that the Mac desktop is a LOT cleaner than the windows desktop (i.e. hardly any shortcut icons, no taskbar etc). When mine arrives (it was delayed coming over from Ireland due to bad weather...grrr, its in Bristol now so will be here on monday, yay!) i'll probably set the dock pretty small so its not imposing and then with the rest of the minimalist desktop i reckon that will make things easier......hopefully!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I still use Windows at work and I always have everything expanded on Windows, but don't on a mac, and it's always seemed perfectly normal for me to do things that way.

I think it has to do with my macs being widescreen and most of the apps I use have my desktop showing through, while PCs don't have that option. To me it's a mac thing

Reaction score
I'm reading this thread on my 24" iMac in fullscreen. Less scrolling. Looks great. IDK what's wrong with this concept.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.