• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is only a test (new keyboard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Using Energizer Lithium Plus batteries, in a keyboard 11.9.12 to 5.29.13, a little over six months. In a trackpad 5.29.13 to 8.28.13, three and a half months. Looking back these are average figures for the past few years with an iMac and Mac Pro. Batteries about the same with Mac Pro Magic Mouse.

OP
CarpathiaMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
Actually "this guy" was wrong. The original point of the Mac-Mini was low cost.

The original 2005 Mac-Mini was $499 (when the average new Mac price at the time was over $1000+). The idea was that the consumer would "bring" their own keyboard, monitor, and mouse from a previous computer.

In fact...this Mac-Mini "low-cost and bring your own peripherals concept" was also aimed at:

- current Mac owners at the time trying to minimize the cost of upgrading to a newer computer.
- Windows users thinking of "making the switch"...and reducing the cost of buying that "First Mac" to give Macs a try. Then if they like the "Mac Experience"...they buy something more powerful/expensive later.

At the time in 2005...all desktop Mac's still came with wired keyboards & a wired mouse. So "wireless" input devices to minimize "wire clutter" was not part of the original Mac-Mini concept.

It's actually not part of the current Mac-Mini concept either (wireless peripherals)...since the buyer of a Mac-Mini still must provide their own display, keyboard, and mouse.

Is it nice to have a wireless mouse & keyboard (to reduce "wire clutter")...sure.:) But its never been part of the Mac-Mini concept that "this guy" mentioned. The Mac-Mini concept has always been low cost.

- Nick

That's pretty much how I was looking at it as well. It was simply an inexpensive Mac option. And I already had a keyboard and monitor (the mouse I upgraded because I wanted one with a scroll wheel).

Reaction score
When I switched to mac I was really happy with what I purchased. Got the late 2012 mac mini since I don't really need a laptop since I don't do much traveling. It was just right for me. I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless trackpad. I use it everyday. So happy I made the switch. I don't think I will be going to windows anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Re: battery life
Thanks for the info.
That confirms that my choice is best for me; wired all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
There are a number of factors that play into how long a set of batteries will last in a wireless keyboard (hours of use/day, quality of the batteries, etc.).

From what I've found...2-3 months @ 4-5 hours/day is about what to expect from a single set of batteries. Of course rechargeable batteries can be used if desired.

As far as how to tell when batteries are dying...this can be checked within the Mac OS. Here's an article that explains it...and how to check battery charge:

How to Check Your Apple Bluetooth Keyboard's Battery Life | Macinstruct

HTH,

- Nick

You also get one of these:

Apple-Magic-Mouse-Battery-Tests-Reveal-Poor-Power-Management-2.jpg

It pops up on your screen for about 5 seconds and disappears. Ditto for keyboard and any other wireless Apple peripherals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.