Thinking about buying a mac... would like some feedback from current mac users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I too am thinking of buying a MBP 13 inch. Mainly because i want the back lit key board. I use an iBook at the moment and am not able to up grade from 10.4.11 as my G4 processor is not compatible with 10.5 up. I have been 100% happy with my iBook and would like to keep hold But its five years old and the lid is starting to crack at the hinge (my niece was a bit rough with it).

Hmmmm. What speed is it? My 1Ghz G4 iBook that I just sold ran 10.5 just fine....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmmmm. What speed is it? My 1Ghz G4 iBook that I just sold ran 10.5 just fine....

As long as it's an 867Mhz G4 or higher, 10.5 will install and work just fine.

Reaction score
Well thank you everyone, i can't believe how useful your answers have been. I asked the same questions over and again on other website's and no one gave me an answer. I now have a better understanding, suppose my friend is a bit of a show off and because he was let down by an i phone and ipod he spread that to macbooks as well.

My processor is a 1.42 gig G4, i was told by a local dealer i couldn't run 10.5 and needed a new computer to do so. Guess he was just trying to get a sale of a new computer over a os sale. His loss not mine, i walked away happy with my iBook as it was (10.4.11).

So should i bother getting a MBP at the moment or wait till the lid breaks completely on my iBook?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the person told you 10.6 would not install, they would be correct. Snow Leopard is for Intel only. 10.5 Leopard works fine on G4's at or above the speed I mentioned above. I have the 12" version of your machine with a 1.33 Ghz G4, 1.5GB RAM and 10.5.8 works great on it.

I love the iBook to death but wish many times it was an Intel Macbook or MBP especially when converting videos that take so long on the G4 and under 30 minutes on the Intel.

In the end it's up to you. Does your iBook do everything you need it to do? If so, keep it for a while. 10.5 is not cheap though if you want to upgrade to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.