• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Well it was a pain when we used to live in Saint Louis, when we first lived there no one had to use an area code to call each other if you were both in Missouri. Then they had to implement area codes, but instead of making you dial an area code for everyone, you had to remove the area code to dial within your calling jurisdiction but add it to call outside your jurisdiction.

In the beginning you had no idea who you had to dial a area code for or what that area code was.

Then they made everyone dial area codes, and everyone complained.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2010 2.4GHz 2GB 10.8.1 iPhone 3GS
A Noob comment

Hi,
I am a one of the Noobs. I have been reading this and other posts as a sort of initiation.

Are you people indicating that a reader should rate the overall thread and each of the posts on that thread? I understand that, if some one takes the time to contribute, they deserve a "thanks" and a rep entry. However, some threads have very large number of posts.

Also, where do I find out how to add an avatar and computer details? Note that I used "computer" not "MAC".

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
#457: People who resurrect 4 year old threads.....

Seriously. This thread has been dead for 3 years, 8 Months and 18 days. Yet somehow, someone resurrected it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2010 2.4GHz 2GB 10.8.1 iPhone 3GS
Oops!! Sorry Baggs. Lesson #457 for newbies learned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Oops!! Sorry Baggs. Lesson #457 for newbies learned.

Hey, thanks. I'm annoyed that I didn't see this thread when it started. Some of mine were not mentioned:
Meaningless subject titles
Posts that just say "Never mind, I figured it out."
People who can't take a joke. (Yeah, sometimes difficult to discern.)
People who have lots of gripes. (Had to zing myself!)
Subject titles that are not questions ending with a question mark.(?)
Post (or titles) that say "I've tried everything." Then why are they posting?
(Well, the last two just amuse me.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i had lived in Chicago for 3 months when the last post was made. now i've lived in San Diego for almost a year. HAHA!!! on another note, isn't that the whole idea behind threads, so that there is an info base that can be drawn up and new relevant information added?

Reaction score
People that start their posts with: "Help me! please help me!! OMG!! Help me now!!! I have a problem....."

Eehrm... that's what a forum's for.... :Confused:

SM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Reading 3 pages of a 4 year old thread before you realize it's a 4 year old thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Driving a 3 yr old Mini (will work on specs for signature)
How do you spell MAC?

Just a thread that makes some of us crazy, like improper spelling etc. Just list a few of your own.

1. When people (noobs) say MAC, I dunno, I just find that a lot of the time some of us (you know who you are) are very particular about spelling.

Dear Keith,
1. People who use a nonword like "noobs" to describe a newbie |ˈn(y)o͞obē|
noun ( pl. newbies )
an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity.

2. I don't see why I should not use (say or write) the word MAC. Mac 1 |mak|
noun trademark
a type of personal computer.
ORIGIN 1980s: from Macintosh, the brand name of a range of computers manufactured by Apple Computer Inc.; the range was named after a variety of dessert apple.

I am an inexperienced newcomer (signed up day before yesterday) to the world of "Mac"-Forums.com. I can see that it may be a very useful learning tool. However, I will never again be offended by . . well (you know who you are).
Still don't know how you think I should spell or say MAC?

Reaction score
I don't see where all the anger is coming from.
You yourself mentioned the word Mac in this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sc...forums-introduce-yourself-42.html#post1458798 more than a few times, and all of them were correctly spelled, you haven't been a noob for a while, since you're not only a Mac user for a huge number of years... you ARE a Mac, lol.

Hello everyone, I have been a Mac for a huge number of years

All jokes aside, I don't see why you have to be so fierce about something that doesn't even apply to you, and has been said by someone I haven't seen on any recent threads, 4 years ago.

SM

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

When a word is typed in all caps (i.e. "MAC"), it is typically an acronym. For example, "MAC" is often used to refer to "Machine Access Control", a sub-layer of the OSI model, used in networking. All networked computers in fact have a "MAC" address, whether they are Windows, Mac, or a Linux box. So, as you might imagine, this can create confusion in certain circles...

When a word is abbreviated, in this case, substituting Mac for Macintosh, you need only capitalize the first letter, since it's a proper name.

In other words, my name is Christopher, but I abbreviate my name as "Chris". I don't generally go by CHRIS, I use Chris. Make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This, right here, is one thing that drives me a little nuts: when someone argues a side without taking two seconds to understand what is being argued, or taking a few moments to try and research what it is that is being talked about.
Dear Keith,
1. People who use a nonword like "noobs" to describe a newbie |ˈn(y)o͞obē|
noun ( pl. newbies )
an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity.

2. I don't see why I should not use (say or write) the word MAC. Mac 1 |mak|
noun trademark
a type of personal computer.
ORIGIN 1980s: from Macintosh, the brand name of a range of computers manufactured by Apple Computer Inc.; the range was named after a variety of dessert apple.

I am an inexperienced newcomer (signed up day before yesterday) to the world of "Mac"-Forums.com. I can see that it may be a very useful learning tool. However, I will never again be offended by . . well (you know who you are).

Really?
MAC= line of cosmetics, a different company related with control of electrical transmission, along with a whole crap load of naming and acronyms.
Mac= Computer line from Apple.

Simple, really, if one was competent to do a bit of research instead of instantly bashing on a forum.

In the profesional world, a simple mistake like that, while showing the lack of competency towards knowing the difference, and arguing about there being none, will instantly get you fired. If someone says something, don't instantly go on the offensive. Instead, do some research as to why someone said whatever it is that they said. You'd find the info right in this forum. You went through the effort of searching through an online dictionary, why not try searching the differences?

example-
Hey everyone, I use MACs.
Really? Thank's for sharing with us that you use a cosmetic line of products geared towards professional feminine beauty styles, as well as some for men. Good to know.

Reaction score
It drives me crazy when people delete my posts.

Dr_Evil.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It drives me crazy when people delete my posts.

How strict these rules are :Shouting:
I'm not going to delete either of these but instead, I'm going to provide explanations.

corvaxmuzzy - if you post junk, it gets deleted. New members with low post counts are generally trying to inflate their post count in the hopes of building up some artificial status or they're trying to gain access to areas that they don't yet have access (B/S/T for instance). Posting obnoxious pictures doesn't help either - there's a particular aesthetic that we try to promote.

ChrisMan287 - the rules aren't strict, you just haven't followed them. Inappropriate language is addressed right in the middle of the Community Guidelines. No surprises there.

Reaction score
I'm not going to delete either of these but instead, I'm going to provide explanations.

corvaxmuzzy - if you post junk, it gets deleted. New members with low post counts are generally trying to inflate their post count in the hopes of building up some artificial status or they're trying to gain access to areas that they don't yet have access (B/S/T for instance). Posting obnoxious pictures doesn't help either - there's a particular aesthetic that we try to promote.

u trolling me bro, so to speak?

-I post junk? What was junk? (I can show you a thread full of real junk that the mods/staff just let fill up & then locked.)
-I'm only trying to attain an artificial status? (Isn't that, at its core, an oxymoron?)
-My pictures are obnoxious? (Like the famous saying, "El que se pique ajos come.")

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

-I post junk? What was junk? (I can show you a thread full of real junk that the mods/staff just let fill up & then locked.)
-I'm only trying to attain an artificial status? (Isn't that, at its core, an oxymoron?)
-My pictures are obnoxious? (Like the famous saying, "El que se pique ajos come.")

Words to the wise. Arguing regarding violations of Community Guidelines and decisions by the Staff will not improve the situation!

Take this as a learning opportunity!:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure how explaining why things have been happening the way they have for you is trolling "bro."

Your "contributions" to the forum through pictures (including your own user profile) might be a nice example here.
In no way was that oxymoronic but that's irrelevant. My point was about those posts that are deleted. We have problems with people trying to gain access to areas that require certain criteria to met. These people generally try to inflate their post count as a means of gaining access. As such, we've had to be more vigilant in stemming the tide of what staff members deem "junk." This isn't a personal thing - we do it with lots of members. If you choose to take it that way, that's your prerogative.
Knowing very little Spanish beyond being able to count to 10 and asking for a beer, I got that translated as "Whoever eats garlic mince." I'm guessing that's not what you went for. Second, yes, they are obnoxious. Not only are they huge but they aren't exactly relevant. In that sense, the pictures are obnoxious detracting from the aesthetic and atmosphere we like around here.

I'll make this nice and simple - if you want to be obnoxious and passive aggressive, so be it. I'm not going to take that away from you but I will take away your right to do it here. If you want to push back against the type of atmosphere that the staff is trying to cultivate, you will be "asked" to leave (those quotation marks are purposive).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.