• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things that bug me (Mac related).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
does it really matter what anyone calls it? its the same thing? why would things like this bug people, it makes no scene ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
does it really matter what anyone calls it? its the same thing? why would things like this bug people, it makes no scene ...

my thoughts exactly, I call it OS EX just becuase, to me, it is easier to say... I dont mind people that call it OS 10, and to be honest, I would bet there are MANY people on this board that call it OS 10 that have no where near as much knowledge as I do about the software. Not saying that I am a complete genius when it comes to it, nor that they are dumb, merely stating the fact that just becuase you call it by a different name has no effect on how you use/know/teach it... all my opinion... think what you want.

ste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
my thoughts exactly, I call it OS EX just becuase, to me, it is easier to say... I dont mind people that call it OS 10, and to be honest, I would bet there are MANY people on this board that call it OS 10 that have no where near as much knowledge as I do about the software. Not saying that I am a complete genius when it comes to it, nor that they are dumb, merely stating the fact that just becuase you call it by a different name has no effect on how you use/know/teach it... all my opinion... think what you want.

ste

my thought too buddy!

Reaction score
When I opened this thread, I thought it was about software or hardware issues. Personally, I don't care what these things are called or how they're spelled as long as they work. Sorry, a bit grouchy tonight (or tomorrow now). ;D Must be the time change.

Reaction score
I've called it both OS 10 and OS X, and I don't see what's the big deal.

M

MacHeadCase

It's just a matter of wanting to be precise.

The art of communication and the practical reason for its existence is all about being as precise as possible, otherwise misunderstandings happen and they can get messy.

I call it OS 10 as well.

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Wow...you are a really bitter person.

Not really. It's just as the Apple brand grows, and we get more new members I see more and more of them making these "mistakes", and I feel I need to correct them so they learn the correct way of addressing these things.

It's not necessarily that these things annoy me as much as having to correct them x times a day.

Perhaps I shouldn't have labeled my post as such; I just wanted to put up a little list of the common mistakes that people make in the hope that it will stop as many people doing it again.

I agree with pretty much all of 'em.

• My MBP says "option" and "alt"

I don't know what the different keyboard layouts are for different countries, but it's probably to do with that.

Reaction score
I think OS "X" sounds better than OS "ten" really. Just say it outlout. Whether its right or not. Just has a nice ring to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Last night (around 12:00am) there was a small 15 minuite or so documentry on the new sucesses of Apple... They kept calling it OS EX :|

~~ TS ~~

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Last night (around 12:00am) there was a small 15 minuite or so documentry on the new sucesses of Apple... They kept calling it OS EX :|

~~ TS ~~

Click? I can't get it online here, but when I have watched it they typically don't know what they're talking about... or they just dumb it down for a general audience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Yup it is indeed Click :p

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i call it OS 'ten' or 'ex' depending on who i am talking too...

I've had people call it an "iPod computer"
i have had this happen to me on several occasions. one kid just thought it was a really big iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
First off let me apologize for the negativity in the post that follows.

• People writing MAC when they mean Mac.

• People referring to Mac as a company/manufacturer.

• Calling the Option key the "alt" key (not helped by the fact that the Option key says "alt" on it, and not Option [on my MBP anyway]).
If you do any of these things, please don't be offended... consider it a learning point :D

Am I weird? Is this normal? Anything to add?

Well my Apple keyboard says alt right above option. maybe this is why people are calling it alt?

*opps guess you said that already. I am not awake yet :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
I will tuck these faux-pas away and try to remember them when I become a switcher.

Fun read regardless!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.