The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why does the 80 GB partition say that it's encrypted? And again, I don't understand why the 40 GB is not showing up? It should show up as unpartitioned free space. I'm beginning to think that your SSD is defective.

OP
P
Reaction score
Why does the 80 GB partition say that it's encrypted? And again, I don't understand why the 40 GB is not showing up? It should show up as unpartitioned free space. I'm beginning to think that your SSD is defective.

Maybe the display of disk utility capitan so the free 40 Gb not showed or should i downgrade to os yosemite again to fix it ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't answer about the 80 GB partition being encrypted. Unless you initiated File Vault when you formatted the drive, it should not be encrypted, and that may be the reason the other 40 GB is missing. Do you remember encrypting the drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
no, I'm not encrypting the drive, what i remember is when in disk utility i format the Apple SSD and choose os x extended journaled (without encrypted). so what i must do ? or there is no way to fix it ? :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the partition has been encrypted. And you're not showing the remainder of the disk. Is there an Apple Store nearby where you live? I think the best thing to do now is to let someone help you resolve the problem because we are getting nowhere here in the forum. I really don't understand what's going on with your disk and suspect that it may be defective.

OP
P
Reaction score
hi chscag i try to install windows again and when i put the bootable windows 8 there is show EFI Boot so i choose it and there is an option to choose installation disk ( 40 gb) but when i choose there is an message below the screenshot

Error.jpg

the 40 Gb show in disk utility ( i rename bootcamp) but i can't erase it (-).

40GBB.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.