• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The new Zune

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed. In person, the thing is tiny.

Agreed with both of you. I just had it in my hand the other day. It's not that large. I just miss the skinny Nano that went in my Levi's Coin pocket, but this is still very small. You can't have a readable screen and have it as narrow as the old Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Seaweed Green, Burgundy ...Wow how do they do it? How do they come up with earth shattering colours:Oops:

Way to go Microsoft..way to go, a long way:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I haven't seen a new Nano in person but I'm gobsmacked about how small that thing is given what it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Have you heard that Microsoft is giving current Zune all the updates for free?

I read an article on Gizmodo chastising Apple for not doing to the same since they could for next to nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Apples new designs for the Nano's look terrible.

Apple's new design for the Nanos accommodated the video aspect very well. Some sites managed to make them look pretty awful, but up close and personal, they're pretty sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree about the "3G" Shuffle comment. If they could just add one thing to the Shuffle, just include playlist capability and one button to toggle to different playlists. I know it kind of goes against he concept, but it would be helpful when you have something capable of carrying 300 songs!

Seaweed Green, Burgundy ...Wow how do they do it? How do they come up with earth shattering colours:Oops:

Way to go Microsoft..way to go, a long way:Evil:

Actually, my mother really likes the Zune colors. She was never into iPods b/c she wanted something colorful, but didn't care for the flashy neon-type colors of them.

You know, they may not be the best looking colors to you, but I bet there are plenty more people out there like my mother with differing taste who may appreciate the new colors. And, adding to my previous point about working to not be like Apple, MS is trying something different to not look like iPod and attract a different market rather than the compete directly with the iPod market.

I mean, if they came out with the same colors as iPod, everyone would be screaming copycat. I guess MS cant catch a break: if they look more like iPod-copy, if they try to look different-ugly.

Reaction score
Apple's new design for the Nanos accommodated the video aspect very well. Some sites managed to make them look pretty awful, but up close and personal, they're pretty sweet.

yeah, you really have to see it and use it to see how sweet it is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The nano in person is so tiny. The old one looks big and tall in comparison. As for the shuffles, granted, they are not 3G. The nano's should beat the Zune flash anyday...

Reaction score
Actually, the latest Zune does not compete with Apples offerings, its a hit at the other guys, SanDisk, Creative and so on. So, this is a bit in Apples favour, as it reduces the field to two players, and I suspect that most people will still prefer an iPod over a Zune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, the latest Zune does not compete with Apples offerings, its a hit at the other guys, SanDisk, Creative and so on. So, this is a bit in Apples favour, as it reduces the field to two players, and I suspect that most people will still prefer an iPod over a Zune.

This is a good point. While competing with Apple's 70% market share is difficult, grabbing at the remaining 30% is much easier. Many iPod owners are tied to Apple through their iTunes Store purchases.

Would MS like to get inroads into the 70% market? I'm sure it would. But realistically, it's going to go after the far more fickle 30% crowd.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's not going to make me trade in my 5.5G Video, but the new Zune is pretty hot. Microsoft did a lot of things right with this one, including retrofitting the new software onto the older devices. I have to give them kudos, even if I can't use it with my Mac (or integrate it with my car).

I'm not sure who else said it in this thread, but I agree that Apple has rested on their laurels a bit with the iPod. Sure, the Touch is a great device, but while it's a big leap over the Classic iPod, it still seems to be lacking. I'd like to see more PDA functionality, larger storage capacity and more competitive pricing. And let's be honest, the Classic and the Nano are Apple's bread and butter - and they really haven't changed all that much. I really think that all of the newest iPods (except the Shuffle) should be running OS X and the touch interface, but I digress...

Maybe some competition will give Apple the onus it needs to allow for things like a removable battery, better/more powerful shuffling options and larger screens. Who knows, but I'm glad to see someone is offering a truly compelling product in the MP3 player market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And let's be honest, the Classic and the Nano are Apple's bread and butter - and they really haven't changed all that much.

I'll agree about the Classic, but not so much with the Nano...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll agree about the Classic, but not so much with the Nano...

OK, video is new to the Nano, but the rest is carryover. What I'm talking about is real innovation, new ideas. Why is there no built-in bluetooth or wi-fi? What about a microSD slot to add more capacity? That's the sort of stuff I'd like to see added to the Classic line. I guess the Nano is pretty limited due to size and in turn, the size of the battery. But the Classic line could stand some improvement. Removing the phone from the iPhone and releasing it as a pricey iPod variant with limited storage is not innovation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because all of that violates the policy of K.I.S.S. Adding all of that would be easy, but it adds clutter when Apple demands simplicity.

As for the touch. Apple pretty much gave what the people wanted, an iPhone without the phone. Unfortunately, Apple took out way too many features, resulting in a cool device rather than a spectacular one :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because all of that violates the policy of K.I.S.S. Adding all of that would be easy, but it adds clutter when Apple demands simplicity.

I guess a lot of people see that as a selling point, I don't. Now, I don't think it should include everything but the kitchen sink, but there are a couple of things they could add beneath the skin and concealed, that would make the devices a lot more functional. Hopefully with some healthy competition, that will push Apple in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Granted, the iPod Touch is a nice design.

But I think they could've done better on the Shuffle and Nano. Is there even a point in calling the shuffle 3G? They just changed the colors. The Nano was ok, but I don't think the mainstream consumer sees the nano as small anymore. It got bigger, and that seems kind of backwards for something that calls itself "nano"

Have you seen one in real life?! They look big in pictures, but they're TINY!!!

Edited to add: Dang, I should have read the second page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the iPod has always been about simplicity. And that's why it wins. There are many players out there which are cheaper and have much more functions than the iPod, but for most people, they don't make sense.

As for memory card expansion, it is pretty clear that Apple wants you to use only the iTunes interface to manage your iPod. I dont' think one can facilitate a memory card this way.

You are also forgetting the work that is put into minituarization. Every iPod is smaller than its predecessor which is quite a lot to do given that they are already so tiny.

The iPhone without the phone AKA iPod touch would should have had all the cool features of the iPhone like google maps and youtube videos. I don't understand why they would take those away. I surely would have bought one if it was just the phone and SMS features I was missing out on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 15.4" Glossy, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Nvidia 8600GT 256MB
Doesn't look to bad if the price is right i might even consider it. But i'd have to see it fully working before i chip out any money for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI, the Zune doesn't work on Macs/Linux...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I'm afraid of Microsoft products now...
I'm always afraid that I might, one day, see the dreaded red ring of death...

Still haven't got my 360 back by the way. The wankers at Microsoft Xbox360 team or whatever, said they're sending the situation to 'the upper echelons' to resolve this matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.