The most extreme series of Mods Ever Done To A Powerbook G4 Titanium

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Um, did you not say the screen was part dead? An Inverter powers the backlight. If just part of the screen has lines and black, it's the screen. The inverter either works or does not work. If it was bad there would be no light at all.

Good point - I missed that. Your inverter is just a step-up transformer to power the backlight. If the display is partially working (backlit). The panel is bad, not the inverter.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I screwed up bigtime. I accidentally bought an inverter for the DVI model... I guess its not so bad, since the logic board I'm getting is a DVI...

Thanks for the update...too bad about the inverter. Just remember to keep an accurate list of how much you're spending on this project.:)

I know that you paid $20 bucks for this Powerbook (plus shipping)...and that you plan on upgrading it from a 667 to an 867mhz logic board...plus the whole water cooling deal (and you need to get the display working).

I just wanted to mention that about a year ago I purchased a nice 12" Powerbook G4 867mhz (exactly where you're thinking of ending up) with built-in Airport & bluetooth, and a good battery...all for $75 bucks.

I've got a definite feeling that you're going to end way north of $75 when all is said & done.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, Im building the entire cooling system from scratch (custom radiator, waterblocks, pump), so watercooling is going to be significantly cheaper than you guys think. As of now, the computer is still usable, so I'm not even in a huge hurry to fix the screen espescially since there is likely to be a lot of changes with the new board. I think I'm gonna wait for the new board to get here then I'll start working towards the screen. Until then, time to start building the radiator

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Im building the entire cooling system from scratch (custom radiator, waterblocks, pump), so watercooling is going to be significantly cheaper than you guys think. As of now, the computer is still usable, so I'm not even in a huge hurry to fix the screen espescially since there is likely to be a lot of changes with the new board. I think I'm gonna wait for the new board to get here then I'll start working towards the screen. Until then, time to start building the radiator

That's the part I'm really interested in. Still waiting for some pics! :Cool:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep us posted. Sounds very interesting. Like something I have done in the past and even would try now! :D

Yes, I am crazy, but love to mod and improve things. :D

OP
N
Reaction score
That's the part I'm really interested in. Still waiting for some pics! :Cool:

I know, I know. I've been working on my Boyscout Eagle project so I've been super busy. pics soon though. including a couple design sketches I made and mockups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
240p? My old P3 500 Thinkpad will do that. 240p to me looks so bad. Sorry. and I have seen no G3 that plays even 240p videos to my standard of smoothness. Maybe yours plays them, but it would bug me.

Camino is fine for those old Macs but is far behind the times for any modern surfing.

Yeah, the G3 plays youtube videos at about 10-15 FPS. Under OS X 10.1 I actually got better framerate than 10.4, but ah well. I don't watch youtube on it very much anyway, I just like to know that it can, not necessarily that I would.

Camino is pretty good, especially since the 2.0 release, but it's not a browser that I would prefer using every day.

To the OP, keep us posted on how it's coming along. Also looking forward to seeing some pictures when you can. :)

Reaction score
1. HOT! God this thing runs hot... I have burnt my hand on the top left hand corner of the bottom case. I may have to try to cook something on it just for the **** of it. Anyway, I'm gonna have to improve cooling. Espescialy for some of the mods I plan on doing.
A.) one of those fan things for the bottom
2. No Audio in. This is a revision B I believe 667 MHz VGA Titanium. There is no audio in jack and thats a problem for me because I need this to record Music.
a.) usb line in
3. Too loud. I may be being picky here, but I want it to be a bit quieter. If that fan kicks in while I'm recording, no doubt it will be picked up by mics.
a.) longer cable
4. Speakers sound terrible. Again, I know I'm being pick, and this probably won't matter, but I would like for the speakers to put out better sound quality. It sounds too tinny and, well, like small speakers.
a.) head phones
5. Keyboard Doesn't light up. Annoying for using my laptop at night. I have to tilt the screen down to illuminate the keyboard, then the screen is at an angle and I can't see that as well.
a.) eat more carrots
6. Paint. It's chipping. I understand this is a common characteristic of Tibooks.
a.) may add to value after certian amoutn of time this attribute in many things makes it "vintage"
7. Battery life. It's not good at all. Maybe an hour at most. It's gonna be even worse if I start adding things.
a.) the power supply probably cant even run half the stuff you want to add
8. Boring looking. I think it is fantastic looking, don't get me wrong, but I want to personalize it.
a.) stickers and paint can make it so it doesnt cool properly
9. Display is screwed up. I got this PB for about 30 bucks shipped off ebay because the bottom third of the screen doesn't work. It starts out just black then turns white and has all these colored lines. I think it's a faulty LCD inverter.
a.) lcd screens the lol most expinsive to fix part
10. Low HDD capacity. Says it all. 30 gigs (stock) won't be enough.
a.) external hdd
11. SLOW! Yes, it very well may be the fastest computer I have ever owned, but it's still slow. I want this laptop to be my main computer pretty much throughout college, or at least until I can afford something else, so it's gonna need some souping up.
a.) you bought a 20 dollar computer.
12. Nostalgia. This is a Power PC mac. Thats not a problem, its a constraint. This project means a lot to me simply because I know I won't be able to compete with modern macs. To me, this laptop is going to stand for everything I always thought was great about Apple, everything that I wish was possible for them to do today. I know it won't be a supercomputer, but I think aiming for Best Powerbook G4 Titanium is reasonable enough, don't you think? I would be proud of that.

a.) no one ever bought an apple to customize it. they bought it because well it just works.

OP
N
Reaction score
Wrong. I bought an Apple to customize it and there are quite a few others out there who have done the same, particularly with the older models. As much as I love Mac products, I just hate the fact that 99 percent of mac owners do not do anything to personalize their system or upgrade it. Really, the most they do is put in a bigger hard drive, or install more RAM. I mean really? Wheres the sense of adventure. I understand that Macs are built to be amazing computers to begin with and that they do "Just work," but I for one am a hardware enthusiast and I enjoy making things better, so here is my contribution towards the Mac world. Instead of just using an Apple, I will personalize it (more than a lousy desktop wallpaper or new hard drive) and I will have a system that is like no other in that a little part of me is permenantly ingrained in this computer in the form of solder, sweat, blood and tears.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any pics? Where does the project stand at this point?

OP
N
Reaction score
Just bought a new camera so pics are on the way thick and fast. Project is starting back up as I have finished my eagle project and am now among the few and proud Eagle scouts. So yeah, cash is starting to flow a little bit and I'm making money to repair this thing by fixing other macs. currently working on an old ibook g3 with a bad DC in board. But anyway, remember when I said the bottom third of my screen was dead? it's spreading. Since my last post, the top right corner fades to white and the middle third is cutting out in what looks to be the same manor as the bottom section. So this LCD is officially shot. I'm still using the computer as an everyday computer since my P4 PC took a crap all over the place when I tried to dual boot Ubuntu. I am now using this Powerbook on an external CRT. Fun stuff. Anyway, Other than that, it is still the same as before. I have built a custom radiator, but I want to make the design nicer to look at. It is basically a mess of copper tubing, steel sheets, and solder. Pics are coming tomarrow. I promise. That is if something else on this poor book doesn't die...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.