• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The cost of music

C

chas_m

Music is still very likely to be your best value for entertainment dollar outside movie collecting. Albums and songs can be like dear friends you enjoy visiting often.

I have over 2,000 CDs but stopped buying CDs with rare exceptions a decade ago, and the CDs are in my old storage unit till I can get them (and all the other stuff) moved up here. I have another 75-100 here. Once my whole collection is back together I will start documenting it and restart buying select, collectible and/or valuable to me stuff (I need a lot more John Foxx CDs for example!) but based on what little I've documented I would say I paid an average of $8 per CD's worth of music, which I consider a good deal. In total I'm sure I've spent at least $20,000 on music over the past three decades but as many of you point out, that's not really a lot on a per-year or per-month basis.

I have no bias against digital music and have bought some but not nearly as much as the music I bought on CDs. I guess I'm just not convinced those digital tracks will be with me 30 years from now so I don't really "invest" in them (and let's be fair, a physical object is always going to be something more "invest-worthy").

Probably the same reason I don't play the stock market! :)

I can go along with Rockabilly Girl's sentiment, but I use Internet radio to accomplish the same thing for free. I like going outside my own collection to hear new (or new to me) stuff and don't want to pay (much if anything) for that, but I'll always buy the stuff I really love. In a way, the collection as a whole would tell anyone a great deal about me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I've certainly spent a monstrous amount over the years.

But it doesn't come close to what I've spent in making music. I think the cheapest album I've ever made was probably about 15k, and that was pretty dicey, recording in friends "apartment studios" (getting yelled at by neighbors) and pulling many favors from friends who work in larger studios.

I still like buying certain records on cd for the audio quality, and vinyl if they release it. I like the move towards higher digital quality though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
I have 4,000 on my mac and 4,000 on my Windows Laptop. All different tunes. Recent addition being Bob Dylan :)

I have kept all my CDS though. I was debating whether to throw them out, but I have been caught out when I am cleaning the house or annoying the neighbors (they are so loud at night!) I just put on a CD on my stereo and blast it out of my speakers. :) CDs can be very com-forty as well as the digital versions. :p

I have never really seen the need to buy vinyls of certain artists though. Might have something to do with the fact that I don't have a record player though! :p lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.