The Big Sur Compatibility Blues

Reaction score
With a new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 – OS 11.2), I’d expected problems with plugs and sockets. A bit of a nuisance - but there you go.

More serious is that my perfectly good HP Printer Scanner HP 3030 J610 is not compatible with Big Sur. To make matters worse, I’ve got three new 301 cartridges in a drawer. HP tell me that none of their printers is compatible with BS! They say they have received phone calls and the matter is under review … (?) I don’t do much printing and can limp along for now by air-dropping to the old Mac. But does anyone know whether it’s just HP that has no drivers for BS? Can we expect HP to fix this problem any time soon? Don't suppose there's any kind of all-in-one driver that handles all printers, a bit like Adobe for PDFs ... (?)

With regard to plugs and sockets, my Lenovo external monitor, which has a VGA cable, is connected to the previous Mac via a Thunderbolt adaptor. Is there a daisy chain fix that will enable me to use it with my new MBP

I have just bought a USB-ZMUIPNG multifunctional HUB (ZM1816) that clips into the side of the new MBP – does this help with the monitor?

Thanks in advance …

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
HP is dreadful at support. But my HP 8600 works fine with Big Sur, so the idea that none of the HP printers work is just wrong. I know several of the folks here are using HP with Big Sur, maybe one of them has your exact printer/scanner.

What on the HP is not functioning? Does it print? Scan? Any connection at all? What have you tried already?

One solution may be Gutenprint, which I have not used, but which other say works well.

OP
M
Reaction score
HP is dreadful at support. But my HP 8600 works fine with Big Sur, so the idea that none of the HP printers work is just wrong. I know several of the folks here are using HP with Big Sur, maybe one of them has your exact printer/scanner.

What on the HP is not functioning? Does it print? Scan? Any connection at all? What have you tried already?

One solution may be Gutenprint, which I have not used, but which other say works well.

OK Jake - perhaps I'm unduly concerned.
For some reason I'd assumed that I'd need a new driver.
Will give it a whirl and report back to the forum.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I went to the HP site and downloaded 'Easy Start'.
But a msg appeared on the Mac: “HP Easy Start” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software" (This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.)

The printer is an HP 3050 JS10a - a combined printer/scanner
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried just adding your printer through System Preferences? Connect the printer by USB, then go to System Preferences/Printer and Scanners and click on the "+" icon at the bottom of the list of printers. The system will try to detect your printer and prepare the system to use it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Jake - There a box 'duplexer' that I didn't tick.
The printer already appeared in the list when I went to 'Printers' in Sys Prefs - I tried again with a (+) and this produced another copy, which I've now deleted. The printer is showing correctly and its model etc is marked as 'default'. When I try to print something, the printer appears briefly in the dock - it's there for a couple of seconds and then disappears. Nothing gets printed. The printer is still OK on the old Mac (10.13.6).
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't delete the new, delete the old. In fact, delete all of the printers, reboot, then go back and click the + symbol to add the printer in Big Sur. If there is an Apple driver for it, it will be installed and should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I have an hp deskjet 3510, I think that’s the model number, not home to look at it, but it is 35xx and it will print wireless from my MacBook Air running Big Sur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect Mikeo512's printer will work, too, but the simpler setup is by USB. Once that is going, the wireless is fairly easy to establish. But trying to get wireless printing when you don't know if the printer is even working with the Mac has too many variables in it. One step at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
But does anyone know whether it’s just HP that has no drivers for BS?

It looks like the GIMP folks don't have anything unless their HP LaserJet 3030 or some other model would work:

Another choice you may want to consider, especially if you have a spare compatible Mac you could leave turned on, and that would be to use a utility like Handy Print.

But try Jake's suggestion #7 above first.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried Jake’s suggestion of clearing the printers and adding the plus sign after a reboot but to no avail. It appears in “Add Printers” but when I select it and try to print, the icon flashes up in the dock and vanishes within a couple of seconds. No documents appear in the print queue.

When I look in “Printers and Scanners” my HP 3050 J610 appears on its own but one strange thing: where it says “kind”, I see “Generic PCL Laser Printer”. This is odd because it’s an ink jet. It shows up with a green dot (“idle”) and when I pull out the plug, this message changes, as expected, to a red dot.

In the box “Add Printers” I see different printers that have been used in the past with the older Mac. These are named and to the right, under “Kind” I see “Bonjour Selected”. But this current printer it is noted simply as USB.

It still works on the older Mac – scans, does copies and prints. It was always used on the (10.13.6) Mac with a USB cable – I never set it up for wireless. This time I did try a network connection but gave up and deleted the network. It is now connected again via the USB cable to the new MBP.

I read that a lossy cable can cause problems. I’m going from the printer via an older style USB plug and cable into the Mac via a ZMUIPNG adaptor that clips into the two C sockets on the side. Are there better USB cables that have an older plug (for the printer end) and a ‘C’ plug (for the Mac end)? Might this help?

On the Apple website, the reference to Air Print states:

“The following printers and print servers are AirPrint-enabled. This information is provided by each manufacturer and is updated regularly by Apple. If you don't see your model listed, check with the manufacturer for more information.” My HP 3050 J610 does not appear in this list.

I’m now more or less resigned to transferring documents to the older Mac via Air Drop or a USB stick. But if anyone is using an HP 3050 J610 with Big Sur, I’d be interested to know.

Thanks again.

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I think that since you tried all that Jake suggested and it appears that HP is no help, Air Drop may be your best bet.

However, don't give up on HP just yet. I've found that they are usually behind the times when it comes to providing drivers. I believe that they will eventually have one for your model. It's kind of too bad since HP is quick to provide drivers for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why not share it from your old iMac?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, 'Ferrarr', for your suggestion ... but the other Mac has another user in waiting.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
I was going to suggest VueScan to at least give you scanning capability, but I'm not sure if even that works - it's on the list of supported printers, but only under Windows (?).

Still, you can download before you buy and test it out.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was going to suggest VueScan to at least give you scanning capability, but I'm not sure if even that works - it's on the list of supported printers, but only under Windows (?).

Still, you can download before you buy and test it out.
Thanks for the note about VueScan - I have that on the old Mac and it's VG indeed. I will definitely get in touch with them. I will put it onto the BS Mac but guess I'll need to download a new version. Not quite reached that stage yet.
It's bizarre that HP have not sorted the BS driver issue out.
The lady in Scotland (HP help) said that she thought no HP printers work.
'People have been in touch,' she said.
M

Reaction score
With a new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 – OS 11.2), I’d expected problems with plugs and sockets. A bit of a nuisance - but there you go.

More serious is that my perfectly good HP Printer Scanner HP 3030 J610 is not compatible with Big Sur. To make matters worse, I’ve got three new 301 cartridges in a drawer. HP tell me that none of their printers is compatible with BS! They say they have received phone calls and the matter is under review … (?) I don’t do much printing and can limp along for now by air-dropping to the old Mac. But does anyone know whether it’s just HP that has no drivers for BS? Can we expect HP to fix this problem any time soon? Don't suppose there's any kind of all-in-one driver that handles all printers, a bit like Adobe for PDFs ... (?)

With regard to plugs and sockets, my Lenovo external monitor, which has a VGA cable, is connected to the previous Mac via a Thunderbolt adaptor. Is there a daisy chain fix that will enable me to use it with my new MBP

I have just bought a USB-ZMUIPNG multifunctional HUB (ZM1816) that clips into the side of the new MBP – does this help with the monitor?

Thanks in advance …

M

I'm currently running Big Sur 11.2 on a 2017 15 MBP. Just this mornning HP updated their HP Smart browser software and it works perfectly with my HP Envy 7640 printer/scanner. It worked before the update as well. Did you try the update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I’m now more or less resigned to transferring documents to the older Mac via Air Drop or a USB stick. But if anyone is using an HP 3050 J610 with Big Sur, I’d be interested to know.

As I mentioned previously, you might want to give HandyPrint a try:

Considering that you seem to have a spare or extra mac available to be the slave printer driver.

We used it very successfully a few years ago when we had a different setup and some printer incompatibility.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Renewed thanks for the continued help.
I'm sure I'll get it working in the end but I have to pause this for the moment.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.