The Apple Addiction?

C

chas_m

You don't get into business for any other reason than to make money.

You have CLEARLY never owned a restaurant. :)

(Neither have I, but I know a lot of restaurant owners and TRUST me they don't get into that business to make money -- they HOPE that they won't LOSE money at best!, but I use it as a single demonstration point that not all businesses exist SOLELY to make money.)

Your point is demonstrably false.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
You have CLEARLY never owned a restaurant. :)

(Neither have I, but I know a lot of restaurant owners and TRUST me they don't get into that business to make money -- they HOPE that they won't LOSE money at best!, but I use it as a single demonstration point that not all businesses exist SOLELY to make money.)

With all due respect thats the biggest load of bull i've ever read on here, the ONLY reason people go into business is to make money, even restaurant owners, of which i know a few. Do you seriously think people would invest time and money in a business if they didnt think they would make a profit? or indeed as you suggest in your example, think they might lose it? Get in the real world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I think this thread demonstrates something different - there are those who go into (or would like to go into) business in the hope of making loads of money and then there are those who do it because they love doing what they do (and hope/intend to make a decent living). Recently there are also those who do it because they are unemployed and have no alternative.

No-one does anything to lose money, but people aren't all blood-thirsty vampires either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I got to agree with Checco a lot of clients our company services go into business because
1.) They have a passion for what they do.
2.) Hate working for someone else.
3.) As long as it makes a profit a job guarantee exists unless its also used as a write off for those with really deep pockets.
4.) To offer a product or service the competition has yet to deliever or will not.
5.)As Checco pointed out they have exhausted their employment options and now its time to give self-employment a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think this thread demonstrates something different - there are those who go into (or would like to go into) business in the hope of making loads of money and then there are those who do it because they love doing what they do (and hope/intend to make a decent living). Recently there are also those who do it because they are unemployed and have no alternative.

No-one does anything to lose money, but people aren't all blood-thirsty vampires either.

I agree 100%. I work to pay the bills, have a few nice things, and build a decent savings for vacations or emergencies. However, I'd like to have my own business, make my own hours, and work out of my own home. It's just a matter of finding something that I enjoy and am good at and that people will pay me for. I'm not trying to strike it rich. I just want to keep "existing" and not drive through rush-hour traffic and obey someone else's rules to do that. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Demonstrate how then. Providing an example with no facts (restaurant owners) doesn't make it so. ;)

Listen, I don't disagree that passion is one of the main driving forces behind starting a business (the other major one being market demand for something). However, in a capitalist world where profit rules and determines the existence of a company, you can't survive if money is not a major focus. Anyone who starts a business and doesn't strive to make money shouldn't be opening a business and would be better off employed by someone who is. Using your example, those people would be better off as a chef for someone instead of opening their own business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Try being born into it! My mom has worked at Apple for nearly 30 years and I've barely ever touched a PC. I have:

15" MBP for Home
11" MBA for Home
27" Apple Display for Home
27" Apple Display for Work
15" MBP for Work
iPhone 4 (me)
iPhone 4s (my fiancé)
iPad 2
AppleTV
iPod Touch
iPod Nano
80GB iPod Video

The rest of my family is just as bad..

Your addiction may be expensive, but I've never seen any interventions or rehabilitation centers for Apple products. =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods
I agree with the addiction. I started with an iPod, then the iPhones, then the iPad and then the iMac and a month after the iMac purchase in November 2011 I sold my 17" $1200 Vaio I had just purchased in early November and bought the high end 13" MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happy, just wish I bought the MacBook before the Vaio would have saved me sooo much money but oh well. I have to say overall I am thrilled with making the switch and haven't looked back. After a trip to the Apple store for MacBook accessories I instead walked out with Apple TV. I think I made need rehab soon or at least an intervention haha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
My advice- Don't fight it. It's an addiction we can't fight and can't win unfortunately. And no, there is no AA for this. (Apple Anonymous)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 13" i5 4gb
(standing up) My name is steve119 and I have began an apple addiction!!

It started a number of years ago when I bought a iPod classic, My other mp3 players were pretty rubbish but managed to control my addiction.

My addiction followed when it was time to renew my N95 8gb and therefore decided to go for the iPhone 3g, the 3gs had just came out but convinced myself to plump for the earlier model, until last february.

I got the iPhone 4, and then I lost control, I begged my girlfriend(I love her dearly!!(she also owns a nano and a shuffle)) to buy me an iPad 2 for christmas then convinced her we needed apple tv for both the iPad and the iPhone 4's we both have.

I lost control totally last week and bought the macbook pro 13" I'm currently typing this on.

Before this addiction I was a BIG windows fan, now I'm hooked!!I (went back to my old laptop and forgot not to trackpad gesture lol)

(now somebody take my credit card and cut it up.......quickly!! ) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5 8GB Lion/ G3 /iPhone4/iPods
I started with an old G3. Then G5 after one horrible nightmare with a pc. Got the Imac last May and bought IPhone. Wonder how I ever did without it. Then iPad. Cant stop......They are all great together though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5 8GB Lion/ G3 /iPhone4/iPods
Occupier?

Demonstrate how then. Providing an example with no facts (restaurant owners) doesn't make it so. ;)

Listen, I don't disagree that passion is one of the main driving forces behind starting a business (the other major one being market demand for something). However, in a capitalist world where profit rules and determines the existence of a company, you can't survive if money is not a major focus. Anyone who starts a business and doesn't strive to make money shouldn't be opening a business and would be better off employed by someone who is. Using your example, those people would be better off as a chef for someone instead of opening their own business.

Guessing you're not one of them there occu piers hmmm? LOL Capitalism, yes sir. Working just fine the way it is......:$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
It sounds like several people have attempted to frame this discussion as an either/or scenario. But business is never that clear cut. In the case of Apple, their hardware has always been priced higher (and had higher margins) than the competition, even in the John Sculley/Michael Spindler/Gil Amelio days. So "profit" is really a non factor in the equation. What Jobs realized while away from Apple - and brought to fruition upon his return is that the consumer base thinks more in terms of "how will 'x' benefit me?". Whether you're talking about the iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc, the key driving factor has been how could Apple improve on what's already out there in their respective markets. The iMac broke the traditional "beige box" model of desktop PCs apart, and now all the major manufacturers have moved away from that design motif. The "iDevices" have all redefined their categories, and have been massive successes in the process.

If profit was the sole or even primary basis for these decisions, then Apple could have easily developed less distinctive products over the years. But Apple realized that if you make the product desirable enough, the profits will follow as sales increase. That encompasses everything from external design to UI to the App and iTunes stores. People scoffed at the iPhone when it was first released because of its price, and said it would be a massive flop. But the consumers saw things differently, and the iPhone has grown each year as a result. The most recent quarterly results saw the iPhone generate more profit and revenues on its own than all of Microsoft's business units combined.

It doesn't matter how much profit you make off each computer if you can only sell 500 of them. But if you can sell 5 million of them, then you've made a ton of profit. That's the key here - Apple products are being bought in such quantities as to generate massive profits for the company and its shareholders. If Apple did not place the focus and emphasis on design and functionality that they are now known for, the company would probably have folded back in 1996...

Reaction score
Hey There! This is exactly happening to me right now :)) I started off with an iPod mini :D Then, a Shuffle :) Then a Nano :)) The next thing you know, I bought an iPod Touch 1G then a 4G :) I bought an iPad 2 3 months after I bought my iTouch 4G. I'm planning on buying a 15 inch Mac soon >:) Whether you like it or not, I guess, each and everyone's handled an Apple product before. That's how magical and powerful APPLE is. And YES, It hooks us in. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hey There! This is exactly happening to me right now :)) I started off with an iPod mini :D Then, a Shuffle :) Then a Nano :)) The next thing you know, I bought an iPod Touch 1G then a 4G :) I bought an iPad 2 3 months after I bought my iTouch 4G. I'm planning on buying a 15 inch Mac soon >:) Whether you like it or not, I guess, each and everyone's handled an Apple product before. That's how magical and powerful APPLE is. And YES, It hooks us in. :D

at least not becoming an alcoholic or smoker or whatever vice, that is what counts. It is about enjoying the best of the modern computers and devices, this is what life is about.

OP
That's Angel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.2; 2.4GHz i5; 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Finally did it and picked up an iPhone 4S. Someone stop me before I buy an iPad. Or a Nano.

Reaction score
Ugh... I hate being that guy, but after a week with my MacBook Pro, I'm feeling this bug to have all Apple everything...Tried syncing my BlackBerry through the Desktop Manager today, somehow lost all my calendar information, and part of me thinks that wouldn't have happened with an iPhone. Maybe I'm just trying to justify blowing more money on myself during the holidays.
Check out my signature. I've been down this road and couldn't be happier now. It's not an addiction, it's a reasoned move to integration and simplicity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz
Ugh... I hate being that guy, but after a week with my MacBook Pro, I'm feeling this bug to have all Apple everything. I'm sure you'll all say, it's normal, but is it really designed to create that effect?

But here I am with a Blackberry phone and an Android tablet, and I can't help but feel like I need an iPhone (again) and an iPad, just to better enjoy the overall user experience. I think I want the ease of syncing between devices and having all my machinery speak the same language. Windows never gave me that opportunity.

I feel the same way. I have an HTC Inspire (ugh), an Android tablet and I just bought a Macbook Pro and I'm liking how everything on it just works so seamlessly. I was wondering was I the only one feeling this way. Glad to know I'm not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
I originally replied to this thread right after it first started. It has only gotten worse since then. You can see by my sig pic that I've gone insane.

What makes it worse, it that it was just a little bit over two years ago I hated all things Apple. Of course, that was just because as a PC user, you're supposed to do that :).

My, how things have changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.