Text editing problem

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good text editor for Mac? I use Text Edit now which works well BUT if I go back to correct a file which was previously uploaded, the file becomes double-spaced. Using Fetch as FTP app. I cannot get the file back to single-spaced without deleting it and re-uploading. Any help? Running Mac OS 10.12.5 on an iMac and using Firefox browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Personally I would suggest the free TextWrangler.app but it is being phased out with a recommendation to use this grand daddy BBEdit.app instead.

http://www.barebones.com/products/
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

But TextWrangler is still available here:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11009/textwrangler

BTW: I don't know why you're having such problems with TextEdit, but TextWrangler can do more anyway. But I'm also not running Mac OS 10.12.5 on an iMac and using Firefox browser.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can someone recommend a good text editor for Mac? I use Text Edit now which works well BUT if I go back to correct a file which was previously uploaded, the file becomes double-spaced. Using Fetch as FTP app. I cannot get the file back to single-spaced without deleting it and re-uploading. Any help? Running Mac OS 10.12.5 on an iMac and using Firefox browser.

Is that only happening when you use "Fetch" to FTP the file? Reason I ask is TextEdit is a stable app that's been included with macOS for years. I have never heard of any kind of anomoly with TextEdit. I use TextEdit all the time to move plain text files and then to import them into Word or some other app. Never a problem here with the file going to double space. I would suspect something else is causing it other than TextEdit itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reason I ask is TextEdit is a stable app that's been included with macOS for years.

A good question and I haven't been able to find much at all of the problem with various web searches.

Maybe there's something that hasn't been mentioned going on and it's curious as to why the double spacing can't be changed in TextEdit's font/formatting.

- Patrick
======

OP
W
Reaction score
No, I also use Cyberduck occasionally and the same thing happens.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

So then, the double spacing is only showing up when you FTP a text file and then try to use TextEdit? How about when you create a new file using TextEdit? (no FTP involved)

OP
W
Reaction score
No, it's fine if there is no FTP involved, so maybe the problem is in the FTP app?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's fine if there is no FTP involved, so maybe the problem is in the FTP app?

Yeah, that's what I suspect too. I've used FTP on and off over the years... mostly when I was doing work with Windows machines. FTP at times does change the file structure of some types of files. However, I've never seen it effect a text file, but who knows? Anyway, you now have some idea of what may be causing the double spacing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Would this be a possible cause???:

Symptoms Some text files on FTP servers may open with double spaced lines in the editor.

Cause
Most likely these text files were uploaded using an external FTP client in binary transfer mode instead of text/ASCII transfer mode.

Solution
When uploading text files using external FTP clients, make sure that the text/ASCII transfer mode is being used, instead of the binary mode which is for transferring images, sound files and other binary/non-text files.
http://www.htmlkit.com/support/docs/pages/H000114.html

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick...

Nice find! I would never have thought about using FTP in binary mode vs ASCII. :)

You earned your ice cream for today. ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait a minute. He gets ice cream and all I get is a hat?:Mischievous::Not-Amused:

Like I was told when I worked as a supervisor in computer repair for the US govt and sometimes had to work 12 hours and complained about no overtime... "We don't give overtime to supervisors and staff, you are expected to perform over and beyond the call of duty!" In other words, no ice cream for the Slydude. LOL. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick...

Nice find! I would never have thought about using FTP in binary mode vs ASCII. :)

You earned your ice cream for today. ;D

Oh goody... does it also erase any black marks??? :Evil:

I'm now fighting with my iPad 2 while visiting my son and his wife in Vancouver out on their deck in the shade. My MBPro's battery was dead for some reason, and I really wonder why Apple did many things so differently, if at all when they designed their iOS. :p:p:p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh goody... does it also erase any black marks???

One for one. LOL. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver. Heard that the weather there and in and around Seattle is unusually hot. I remember on my visit to the Seattle area that most folks up and around there do not have air conditioning. Something that's a must here in Fort Worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, quite unusually hot here and most of the southern BC west coast and very hazy with the outflow wildfire Forrest fire smoke the distant mountains are behind a grey haze wall.

Many newer homes here do have air conditioning, but mainly for the features and benefits for using them as a heat pump.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.