testing macpro g5

Reaction score
ive been looking to purchase a macpro g5 from craigslist. i'm looking for something for web surfing and storing my photo's. Is there a program i can run to test the system? I dont want to pay 400 bucks and then realize the PSU or processors are bad. on windows machines I would run programs like sisoft sandra to benchmark and stress the system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ive been looking to purchase a macpro g5 from craigslist.

A small correction. There's no such thing as a "Mac Pro G5". If this is a tower style computer...It's either a Powermac G5...or a Mac Pro...it cannot be both.

If this computer is $400...it's probably a Powermac G5. Powermac G5's although great computers...have a PPC processor in them...which is basically "dead" technology. With $400 (and maybe $100-$200 more) you would probably be better off getting an early iMac or MacBook with an Intel processor.

Intel processors have been in Macs since 2006...and is the current technology.

As far as a program to "stress" a Macintosh computers system...I'm not aware of one. There are programs for benchmarking...but "stressing" I think is different. One good way to "stress" things is to play a bunch of You-Tube videos.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.