• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

terminology pet-peeves in your everyday life

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ha! someone here at my work just said "alternation" in place of alteration.

awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I saw the funniest thing on a huge, tricked out mudding-truck style F-150.

It said:
"Stuck? Call 1-800-YOUR-STUCK"

.....Friggin idiot...
I can't stand it when people use the wrong usage of the word "You're".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I saw a phone number on the side of a truck (I think it made toilet paper) 1-800-BUM-FLUFF. I'm not kidding. I called it, and it was busy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Jaguar, they probably had to say your instead of you're because they had to have the right amount of digits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Well here's a thoroughly idiomatic American expression "Bad Macbook off of eBay". Why "off of"? Why not just 'off' or 'from'?

Remember, nobody's wrong, it's just that some are more correct than others, just as some are more unique than others :( So you just pay this contributor never-no-mind. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Jaguar, they probably had to say your instead of you're because they had to have the right amount of digits.

OH GEEZ GIVING HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT HUH?;D
Actually it wasn't just "1-800-YOUR-STUCK"...There was a 5 letter word at the end as well, the slang word for a female dog....Hence why I found it so comical....

Remember, nobody's wrong, it's just that some are more correct than others, just as some are more unique than others

That should be your profile quote man. Haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I saw the funniest thing on a huge, tricked out mudding-truck style F-150.

It said:
"Stuck? Call 1-800-YOUR-STUCK"

.....Friggin idiot...
I can't stand it when people use the wrong usage of the word "You're".

It was a Ford driver. They never get anything right.

Anyway, last night I got one and I nearly flew off the handle for it.

"The monitor's already on, you just have to turn on the CPU."

IT IS NOT CALLED A CPU. IT IS CALLED A COMPUTER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
envisage vs. envision

Reaction score
How about when you give someone a cd/dvd and they say "I'm going to download this onto my computer when I get home".

Or "I have 120 gigabytes of memory on my hard drive"?

My stepbrother, whenever he changes games on his Nintendo or whatever, is "plugging in a new tape".
There's tape in those cartridges? I even took one apart and showed him.
And he's a supervisor at a major refinery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can a psuedo-intellect just be a pet peeve period? haha.
How about lazy people too...Like, ridiculously lazy people....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can a pseudo-intellect just be a pet peeve period? haha..

How 'bout inverted snobbery? Deliberately going for the lowest common denominator.
Or pretending ignorance, or proclaiming false ignorance. Like people, usually the older generation*, blinkers firmly in place, who, with fierce pride, announce that they've "never even learned how to turn a computer on!".
[*Of which I am one.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
How about lazy people too...Like, ridiculously lazy people....

Like people who see a good post but are too lazy to give the poster rep?

C'mon, people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
How 'bout inverted snobbery? Deliberately going for the lowest common denominator.
Or pretending ignorance, or proclaiming false ignorance. Like people, usually the older generation*, blinkers firmly in place, who, with fierce pride, announce that they've "never even learned how to turn a computer on!".
[*Of which I am one.]

Kinda like the people who are proud of being dumb? Yea, I know quite a few.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Being a psychologist my two biggest pet-peeves are when people say that they are "OCD about something" or they call people with multiple personalities "schizophrenic". Schizophrenia is a freaking psychotic disorder that is nothing like D.I.D. (Dissociative Identity Disorder)!!!!

I would actually just say the overall lack of knowledge and prejudice against mental health in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
the itouh one is bad but ont thats worse, os the new nano. people say i want a nano chromatic for xmas, it bugs the **** otta me. theres only one nano there for its nano. crmatic refers to the colors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kinda like the people who are proud of being dumb? Yea, I know quite a few.

Not only proud, they insist on telling everybody about it. :Shouting: How does it go .... "Better you keep your mouth closed and let people think you're stupid, than open it and leave them in no doubt."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not only proud, they insist on telling everybody about it. :Shouting: How does it go .... "Better you keep your mouth closed and let people think you're stupid, than open it and leave them in no doubt."

FAH4307-D2.gif

People with this decal need say nothing.

First, redneck is not a term of pride.

Second, putting one of these on a Dodge Neon is a contradiction of terms, but you will almost NEVER see that decal on a real "redneck" vehicle (lifted F-150/Bronco/Silverado/K5 Blazer/Dodge D Series*), because they already made their point with the confederate flag painted on the hood, the 12 inch lift kit, and the horn that plays Dixie.

*Contrary to popular belief, most authentic rednecks view the Dodge Ram as a "city boy" truck, and as such, they generally will not get one unless it's a pre-1994 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People with this decal need say nothing.

First, redneck is not a term of pride.

Second, putting one of these on a Dodge Neon is a contradiction of terms, but you will almost NEVER see that decal on a real "redneck" vehicle (lifted F-150/Bronco/Silverado/K5 Blazer/Dodge D Series*), because they already made their point with the confederate flag painted on the hood, the 12 inch lift kit, and the horn that plays Dixie.

*Contrary to popular belief, most authentic rednecks view the Dodge Ram as a "city boy" truck, and as such, they generally will not get one unless it's a pre-1994 model.

Agreed. Plus if you're a real redneck, you have used, old tins of dip, Budweiser and Jack Daniels bottles in the bed of your truck lolol :p Just playing.

I also hate the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thing. The way I see it, all cars and trucks are pieces of junk in their own etiny. We've had motorized vehicles for almost a century yet these vehicles can't last a million miles yet? Psht. Unless it's an old Mercedes 240D , (They really do last hundreds of thousands of miles with almost NO maintenance.) and a select few of other cars that last as long as this one (No, not even my beloved Jaguar.) it's junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. Plus if you're a real redneck, you have used, old tins of dip, Budweiser and Jack Daniels bottles in the bed of your truck lolol :p Just playing.

No, no. It's true. There are almost always beer bottles and dip tins in a redneck vehicle

I also hate the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thing. The way I see it, all cars and trucks are pieces of junk in their own etiny. We've had motorized vehicles for almost a century yet these vehicles can't last a million miles yet? Psht. Unless it's an old Mercedes 240D , (They really do last hundreds of thousands of miles with almost NO maintenance.) and a select few of other cars that last as long as this one (No, not even my beloved Jaguar.) it's junk.

I've grown used to the Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing. I'm from a family that was employed for the better part of the 20th century by General Motors, and so I've grown biased.

But I do agree that the Ram is a show truck. A Cummins diesel is a great engine, but come on. Dodge can't manufacture a decent transmission to save their company. Towing with a Dodge cuts the lifespan of that transmission in half, no matter how good your maintenance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.