Taking the plunge-going antivirus-less

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" late 2009 (10,1) El Cap; MBP early 2011 (8,1) Mavericks
Your company allows employees to install things on the company's computers? Whoa. The two places where I've worked over the past 13 years has the computers 'locked' so that nothing can be installed on any machine except by the IT department, after submitting a request explaining why the item is needed to perform their job.

... yesterday one of the secretaries had a fat man in a thong pop up on her screen advertising ... I had to explain installing all the coupon, save alerts, shopping extensions and add ons caused it. ...

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Your company allows employees to install things on the company's computers? Whoa. The two places where I've worked over the past 13 years has the computers 'locked' so that nothing can be installed on any machine except by the IT department, after submitting a request explaining why the item is needed to perform their job.

I agree with the no install program and initially I set that up. I work part-time so I can not always be available for when they need something and this created issues. I am not the boss and all I can do is explain the pitfalls. I get these blank stares followed by "but we need it to work when we want it to" looks. You have no idea how frustrated I get.

The situation I described above dealt with a cloud service we use to sign kids into our kids ministry program. It logs their attendance and prints a name tag and claim ticket for the parent. For some reason that is beyond me, the program that loads the cloud interface has to have an admin account and runs best in chrome. Chrome will allow all kinds of toolbars to be installed no matter what my server settings are. They also let a teen log kids in and problems arise. I have suggested using only trusted adults and they tell me that is what they do....right. I can't block it at the firewall because the program won't load. It is a pain.

I work for people whose entire life has been sheltered in a church environment. While they know not everyone is one the same page for some reason they are too trusting...and I am viewed as paranoid - until an issue arises.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
A couple years running Linux got me out of the "gotta have an AV" mindset caused by running Windows so long. However in Safari I use the Ghostery, Adblock, and WOT (Web of Trust) extensions. I recently installed AdwareMedic based on what I read here but it hasn't found anything. Since it scans only on demand no resources are used.

I also set my router (Airport Extreme) to use OpenDNS DNS servers which adds some protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Hi Luthermac, just got home from being on the road 12 hours.

Go to Airport Utility, click on the AE picture and a pop-up window will appear. Select "Edit" on the lower right corner and then you will have a window come up with five tabs. Select "Internet" and you will see where the DNS Server settings are. Just modify them to read:

I found out about OpenDNS when I was using Elementary OS linux (probably the most OS X-like out there since Pear OS was mysteriously bought out). It provides phishing protection and protection against certain attacks. It is supposed to speed up DNS look ups but it is hard to tell since I am on satellite with its long latency.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
I have just recently started getting involved with mac computers during the past couple years and have never used any av software on the mac's, pretty much because my friend who is a unix/linux programmer told me there really isn't any reason to. I have to say that I will never go back to a windows computer ever again and cannot wait to get rid of my android phone and switch to an iPhone as well. Apple rules!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.