• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Taking notes on a macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
It usually wont generate heat at all when it's asleep. It shouldn't be doing any processing at all while it's asleep. You might get that checked out or make sure it's set to go to sleep when you close the lid. I never turn my laptops off, they are always on or asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Ok well a week into university, I've kinda got into a routine, hope these answers help a little :)

Between classes do you put your mac to sleep or turn it off?

I just close the lid (put it to sleep), that way its quickly available when I need it next

Do you carry a spare battery around with you?

Can't say I do! Just charge it up before i go and if i notice its getting low, Ill just throw it on charge (when i can)

Do you always run off the battery or AC?

When taking notes i use battery, when in the studios i use AC

What program do you use for taking class notes?

I just use textedit simply because when taking notes, I dont need all the fancy features, I just need to get the info down

Do you find using a laptop better for note taking that paper?

As weird as this will sound (after my previous answers) I actually prefer using paper. I can normally write better notes (e.g ones i can make more sense of) when I can write by hand and scribble random arrows etc in.

How do you structure and save your notes? do you have a folder for each subject and make new documents for each class session?

Seeing as its university, im only studying 3 to 5 modules per semester so I just use a simple folder system :)

~~ TS ~~

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Yeah, we all love Vista here, don't we? :Smirk: Vista is the very reason I switched to Mac!
BTW, Excel 2007 has a multiplication bug right now. For example, try calculating this formula: =850*77.1. Excel 2007 will calculate it as 100,000 rather than the correct 65535. A patch should be out soon.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Is it alright to put it to sleep and put it in a case. I am just worried about it overheating because I have had 2 issues where I accidentally put it in the case while it was on and it got ridiculously hot to where it shut itself off and wouldn't restart until after 30 minutes of sitting in front of a fan.

No problem with casing it while in sleep mode. I also have had two times when the computer didn't sleep and I thought it had cooked itself, but both those instances were with my work laptop, back when I used Boot Camp. Guess which OS was running at the time? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.