Synced Folder on MAc10.12 for two users over the cloud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm getting some stress here from a situation I need to resolve before June as Dropbox are now ending support for Mac10.12 and I cannot upgrade for software reasons (we use Photoshop and Quark as well as Filemaker 13 so expensive/stressy upgrades and not practical for our needs).

In short: what is the best/easiest way to share a folder between two machines which operate remotely from each other by two people and wish to access shared files?
I was told it might be better to set up our own NAS Server but it must allow for back ups and in any case a cloud service that accomodates older OS would be better ideally.

Does iCloud allow a folder to sync in such a way - an alternative to what we do on Drop Box?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help with this as it keeps cropping up each couple of years and forces us into a panic OS upgrade. Except this time.... we are out of rope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does iCloud allow a folder to sync in such a way - an alternative to what we do on Drop Box?

I was going to suggest that maybe iCloud could help solve your problem, but I have very little information as to how it would actually work with file sharing.

The first thing that crossed my mind was Apple's own Remote Desktop, but it is also 80+ $$ dollars and I'm not even sure it would do what you want.

Have you checked out the Apple Store for any remote file-sharing stuff that might work for your situation???

As for using iCloud, have a look at some of these hits and see if they might be of help:
can apple icloud be used for remote file sharing

This looks quite interesting if you could use it:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can vouch for iCloud file sharing being a possible option. I used it to share a sync folder with someone a while back. However, the problem here is you are on OS X Sierra 10.12. Apple only introduced sharing a few years and and it's only supported on 10.15.4 and higher, from what I can glean.

I did some digging, and Dropbox WILL continue to work for you via a web browser. It's just the desktop app that will no longer work.

If you're lucky, a 3rd party app might still work. CloudMounter is one I've used that is pretty nifty. It will connect to a cloud service and mount it so it acts like a locally-connected drive. They currently support 10.12 but I can't say that will change for their support of Dropbox due to DB dropping support for 10.12.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.