switching from HDD to SSD

Reaction score
Got a 256 GB sandisk SSD to use in my 2010 MB pro. But I've never done this before, so I'd like to ask if anyone can point me to some good instructions on how to format and/or copy OSX El capitan and my files to the SSD.

Any links, etc, or instructions would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a lot on the net, but I figure someone here who's done it before would have the best way to do it from experience that could be passed on. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
By far the easiest way, assuming you are OK with the physical exchange of HD's is to clone your existing drive to an external HD. If you can mount the new SanDisk in an external enclosure that would simplify the process. You can then use Disk Utility to create a single partition called (Macintosh HD) format it as Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and clone your existing drive to the SanDisk. Then just swap them over.
Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software will create a bootable clone (using the free 30 day trial version) on that drive.
If you cannot mount your new SanDisk externally you will need to use another external USB HD and clone your current device to that.
You can then swap the drives and booting from the external HD use Disk Utility to format and partition the new drive as above and clone your copy back to the new SSD using CCC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using Time Machine or another type of backup system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There have been eported problems with 2009/2010Macs if you are considering a 6Gb/ps SSD. They are supposed to be backwards compatible but check with the seller you can exchange it for a SATA II 3Gb/ps drive if there are problems. Even if the 6Gb/ps does work, it will only operate at the 3Gb/ps speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.