Surge Protector As USB Charger? Assuage My Paranoia

Reaction score
Is there any reason to be concerned about using a surge protector as a USB charger? I just got this one.

Thanks. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Should be no problem. Nowadays many small appliances come with a USB connecter. I have a desk lamp that I use which has a USB connecter to provide charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just don't expect too much power out of it. Check what the ports are rated for (should be on the packaging, or in the tech specs).

OP
M
Reaction score
Should be no problem. Nowadays many small appliances come with a USB connecter. I have a desk lamp that I use which has a USB connecter to provide charging.

I don't get out shopping much anymore. I was surprised to see what has become of power strips and surge protectors — low quality, high prices.

Thanks for your reply. I value your input. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just don't expect too much power out of it. Check what the ports are rated for (should be on the packaging, or in the tech specs).
Jake,

I would expect the opposite, they should be able to provide ample power for all devices over USB since they are connected to mains power.

Using the power strip is even betters since any surges will be handled by it and not cause any damage to your USB devices.

I use a similar device to charge my wireless keyboard, mouse, headphones on my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would expect the opposite, they should be able to provide ample power for all devices over USB since they are connected to mains power.
Not a good assumption. It all depends on the power transistor they used to go from the mains to the 5vdc of the USB port. if they used a low wattage regulator, there won't be much power at the port. If they used a heftier regulator that costs more, it could be heartier. The fact it's connected to mains makes zero difference in this case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.