Sunrise 1.0 Released! Fast, Fast, Fast Browser

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I had tried the earlier version and was impressed by it. Had given up on the 1.0 release. Will re-download it and try again.

Reaction score
OK folks, it is here. Sunrise 1.0.6 has been released. It fixes the bookmarks bug for PPC machines. Now bookmarks work correctly.

SO FAR, everything I have tested works, which is great. Sunrise has HUGE promise, given it's amazing speed and its innovative (and now working!) visual bookmarks.

Give it a try and report back. If I find anything broken (or "borked" as is used in many other forums - I will leave it to your imagination to figure out which two words mated to produce the word "borked"! :dive:) I will post back!

BTW, I am posting this from Sunrise 1.0.6!

Same as before - just downloaded and installed it and got the same message - no bookmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The visual bookmark is a gimmick, since the screen shot is just an image of what you originally book marked. If was a dynamic page, it'd be better if it gave a live preview liek a thumbnail, right?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
PapaNoHair, are you sure you are using 1.0.6, not inadvertantly re-using the older version? The visual bookmarks are working just great for me.

Zoolook, the idea of the visual bookmarks is just to allow you to quickly select your desired web page by appearance vs. text. Sunrise has never claimed that these were live "mini browser windows", just a more intuitive way of selecting your bookmark. So, it is probably not fair to call it a gimmick because they are not live - personally, I think it is kind of neat. Humans process images much better than text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
PapaNoHair, are you sure you are using 1.0.6, not inadvertantly re-using the older version? The visual bookmarks are working just great for me.

Zoolook, the idea of the visual bookmarks is just to allow you to quickly select your desired web page by appearance vs. text. Sunrise has never claimed that these were live "mini browser windows", just a more intuitive way of selecting your bookmark. So, it is probably not fair to call it a gimmick because they are not live - personally, I think it is kind of neat. Humans process images much better than text.

I was being picky, fair enough, but to be honest some home pages or start pages are pretty barren and can look generic.

It is a nice idea, but it takes a lot of room and doesn't really consider things like folders, etc, where you could create your own thumbnails for topics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Until it uses the current webkit, I'll pass.
If it DOES, they need to say so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Hmm ... I wonder why it uses the tiny dialog style window decoration. It looks very odd compared with the rest of the apps.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Zoolook, you have hit on what I consider to be the really big problem with the visual bookmarks - no way to organize them by topic. For example, I probably have 400 sites bookmarked in Safari, organized into twenty or so major topic areas, many with separate subfolders. Sunrise's visual bookmarks are neat, but ultimately, the author will need to add some form of structure to them, or large collections like mine will become unusable.

Reaction score
Zoolook, you have hit on what I consider to be the really big problem with the visual bookmarks - no way to organize them by topic. For example, I probably have 400 sites bookmarked in Safari, organized into twenty or so major topic areas, many with separate subfolders. Sunrise's visual bookmarks are neat, but ultimately, the author will need to add some form of structure to them, or large collections like mine will become unusable.

When I had Sunrise working - the original version, I used it as a "second personal bookmarks bar." I just placed those on it that I used frequently so more screen space was not used up.

Reaction score

Nope I have the new one. The first version I used (.895 I believe) automatically imported Safari bookmarks and updated them constantly. This one has none and cannot find any place to manually import them. Going to play with this for a couple more days then Sunrise will be history if it doesn't work better then this. Too bad - nice browser - love the visual bookmarks idea and love the speed, but................

Reaction score
Well frankly the visual bookmark thing is noval but in reality I don't think it is all that practical for everyday use. What? Are we gonna scroll through pages of visual bookmarks. I don't think so. And yes not having an import for bookmarks is sketchy. Also no Favorites bar available?

I'll keep an eye on this thing but really it has some more tweaking to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Still needs a way to import bookmars, a way to organize bookmarks into folders, and a way to have auto-fill capabilities.

Reaction score
Just downloaded this from their web site and initially impressed with the speed.

As had been said, bookmarks LOOK novel but perhaps more work to make practical.

Anyway, just out of chance I've stumbled across one of my regular web pages which appears to crash the program (or make it quit perhaps would be kinder to say)

www.petshub.com

It starts to render the page, and then shuts itself down.

Safari works fine.

============= EDIT==============

Oh well..... Forget all of the above.

I just clicked on the link I typed above, and it worked fine.
then I manually typed it in (just in case) and it still works fine.

Odd, as it crashed the app 3 times before when I 1st tried that page.

Oh well, put it down to Mr Mac having a funny moment!

Just me, or same for everyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Could someone please try uploading some photos to photobucket? I don't seem to be able to with Sunrise. It tells me I am uploading an invalid file type, but I am then able to upload those same photos with Safari.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.