Suggested wireless printer for 2016 MacBook Pro

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you and I are closer in understanding than you might think. I didn't do a very good job conveying that at all.
To be fair to Apple, they give away a lot of stuff for free, and those things are tremendously valuable and they could easily be charging for them if they wanted to. The entire Mac OS. Pages, iWork, and Numbers. A bunch of apps that are bundled with the Mac OS which they regularly update with more features. These things aren't cheap little nothings. My conclusion isn't that Apple is nickle and diming us for everything that they can to make shareholders happy. They charge for the things that similar companies charge for, and when they can they offer free things as an extra value for customers, sometimes even when other companies charge for the same things.

Of course, there are lots of Karens these days who want everything for free. But the world doesn't revolve around their wishes.
I've made this very point to someone recently. We've had this conversation on several occasions but it never seems to stick for very long. I've even gone so far as to point out that Apple no longer charges for macOS and hasn't for several years. All that discussion got me for my trouble was a discussion about why older Macs and iPhones can't run the current macOS/IOS version with the newest features.

The fact that older hardware doesn't have something that the new feature needs is generally ascribed to planned obsolescence on Apple's part.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My wife ran her own business for a while. There is much more to it than just the difference between wholesale and retail pricing for a retail store. Part of that difference pays for the building (rental or mortgage, utilities, property taxes), employees salary/benefits/taxes, income taxes (both federal and state, including some additional payroll related taxes), administrative overhead, etc., etc., etc. In the technology area, it also has to cover research and development costs. If it's a publicly held company, the stockholders (owners) have an expectation of a return for their investment, so that's another factor in the pricing. It may seem to be "gouging" to pay X for wholesale and sell for 2X retail, but the actual profit is pretty thin at that for many businesses. I don't care what the wholesale/retail ratio is. What is key for me is whether the price I pay is "reasonable" for the value received. Life is much easier that way!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many people seem to have very little understanding of that side of the equation and some other common aspects of retail. I've run into several people over the years who believe the ads from car dealerships routinely claiming to sell cars below cost. The fact that routinely selling below wholesale prices means the business isn't covering its overhead.

Reaction score
There is much more to it than just the difference between wholesale and retail pricing for a retail store.

Of course, businesses have a lot of overhead, and flooring/warehousing fees. That's all part of business.

It may seem to be "gouging" to pay X for wholesale and sell for 2X retail, but the actual profit is pretty thin at that for many businesses.

Yes, except that the difference, at least where I worked, was often more like 7X. Most folks hear that and freak out. (I'm sure that number varies considerably from business to business.)

Of course, there is a lot of risk in business. If your goods aren't selling, it doesn't matter what your markup is.

Reaction score
Many people seem to have very little understanding of that side of the equation and some other common aspects of retail. I've run into several people over the years who believe the ads from car dealerships routinely claiming to sell cars below cost. The fact that routinely selling below wholesale prices means the business isn't covering its overhead.

There is a lot of "puffing" (a legal term meaning "lying") that goes on in car advertising. An automobile dealership can be technically legitimately selling cars below the wholesale price that they pay for them. But what they don't disclose in their advertising are the payments of holdbacks that dealers receive for selling a car within a certain amount of time, dealer incentives, kickbacks for getting a car financed, etc. Auto dealerships make really good money on car sales. They make even more money on service.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They make even more money on service.

That is so true! When we purchased our late model autos (2019 and 2020) the sales person stated that because of all the electronics it was to our advantage to purchase extended warranties and a dealer service contract. Which we did.

LOL, I guess you can call it Apple Care Plus for an auto. All in all, I'm pleased with the service our dealer performs even though I paid handsomely for it.

Reaction score
That is so true! When we purchased our late model autos (2019 and 2020) the sales person stated that because of all the electronics it was to our advantage to purchase extended warranties and a dealer service contract. Which we did.

That makes me curious about which car you got.

My son got a BMW 328i, and every time it needs something simple fixed, it's a huge expensive ordeal. He had a taillight bulb go out, and I tried to replace it myself, but it wouldn't work. Believe it or not, you have to reset the computer just to replace a freaking taillight bulb!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That makes me curious about which car you got.

Both Hondas. 2019 CRV and 2020 Civic.

Your reference to your son's BMW 328i reminds me of the same experience my son had with his recent BMW. He related how expensive it was to do simple things like an oil change or tune up. He has since traded the BMW.

Reaction score
Both Hondas. 2019 CRV and 2020 Civic.

Your reference to your son's BMW 328i reminds me of the same experience my son had with his recent BMW. He related how expensive it was to do simple things like an oil change or tune up. He has since traded the BMW.

I swear that it seems like BMW has chosen the most difficult path to repair every item, especially common repair items.

In this day and age where every car manufacturer uses a spin-on oil filter because they make so much sense, BMW uses a separate filter element that resides in its own housing. It's a huge mess to replace.

Instead of using a standard windshield wiper attachment scheme, they use one that no one else uses, which means that you can't just purchase windshield wiper replacements anywhere, like you can for any other car.

They even require that you only use BMW-branded synthetic oil, without even telling us how their oil is different (if at all).

Extremely consumer-unfriendly. The only car that I've worked on that was worse was a Peugeot.

Honda's are wonderful to work on, and a model of reliability. As long as you meticulously change the timing belt every 60,000 miles. If you don't, your engine might one day instantly be ruined when it breaks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Honda's are wonderful to work on, and a model of reliability. As long as you meticulously change the timing belt every 60,000 miles. If you don't, your engine might one day instantly be ruined when it breaks.

Only some older model Hondas used timing belts in place of chains but some models including some current ones do and continue to use timing belts.
"The fifth generation of the Odyssey started production in 2018 and for the entire production run the Odyssey has used timing belts as opposed to timing chains. " as do theirHonda Pilot andHonda Ridgeline models.

The article here describes whether each model uses belt which should be changed periodically or chain. some belt driven models even had an early failure date which can destroy the engine completely if it breaks.

Still a **** of a lot better than an expensive BMW or Aud or even a Jag and their expensive repair and maintenance bills!!! 😒

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick:

Thanks for the article about timing belts and chains for Honda.

I believe most modern autos now use a timing chain vs belt. And it's quite amazing that Ford going way back used a Timing Chain in their Mustang models. My 98 Mustang had a Timing Chain and 4 wheel disk brakes. Great car.

Reaction score
I'm searching for a reliable wireless color printer that's compatible, that is one with a reliable wifi connection, with my 2016 MacBook Pro as well as my iphone6 and ipads. HP Envy Photo 7155 All-in-One Printer Review Suggestions please with model numbers. I'll be printing color and b/w documents mostly.
Thanks!
I am looking for a very small 3d printer, maybe 4x6x4" tall capacity, of high enough quality that a non-techy person can use it easily. This would be for making the same 4-5 parts over and over. Aside from being low maintenance after properly setup, small physical size is important. I am hoping for one that is not much larger than a standard sheet of paper and under 1' tall. Speed is not critical, but good-looking prints are.

If anybody has a recommendation, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have no recommendations as I know very little about them but I would be inclined to start googling some sites such as this one here and learn about some of the good and bad things and some things to avoid:
Best 5 Cheap Small 3D Printers – Price Comparison

Maybe some of the points may help reduce your choice and avoid some poor and expensive to run units... 😉

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I am looking for a very small 3d printer, maybe 4x6x4" tall capacity, of high enough quality that a non-techy person can use it easily. This would be for making the same 4-5 parts over and over. Aside from being low maintenance after properly setup best affordable dtg printer, small physical size is important. I am hoping for one that is not much larger than a standard sheet of paper and under 1' tall. Speed is not critical, but good-looking prints are.

Thanks.
no response

john kelsey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2015
I have no recommendations as I know very little about them but I would be inclined to start googling some sites such as this one here and learn about some of the good and bad things and some things to avoid:
Best 5 Cheap Small 3D Printers – Price Comparison

Maybe some of the points may help reduce your choice and avoid some poor and expensive to run units... 😉

- Patrick
=======
Can you recommended a good printer to print wedding cards for my daughter, Actually I am using MacBook 2015 thats why I did not find some better option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you recommended a good printer to print wedding cards for my daughter,

Unless you are going to be doing similar sort of printing fairly often, personally I would seriously consider getting a quote from a print shop or one of the local shops that does small printing jobs. Some even specialize in doing up wedding cards.

They will also utilize proper cardstock which some cheap printers don't seem to handle very well and you will not be left with a big stock of cardstock.

Actually I am using MacBook 2015 thats why I did not find some better option.

Hmmm...??? I have absolutely no idea why or how a 2015 MacBook would prevent you from finding what you want on the internet.
This also reminds me of the adage:
"A good tradesman does not blame his tools."

As a suggestion, check out some of Google's sites for hints and suggestions for how do you use the various Google search tools and phrases.

Here is a big hint to help you get started, just double click the site to open it and get there:

BTW John K, welcome to the Mac-forums forums, and good luck with all the things one often seems to need to do for a wedding.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Can you recommended a good printer to print wedding cards for my daughter, Actually I am using MacBook 2015 thats why I did not find some better option.

Even if you spend a LOT of money, you aren't going to find a home printer that can hold a candle to professionally printed wedding invitations. And wedding invitations are a lot cheaper than you might suspect.

I don't know if the Papyrus paper products stores still exist, but when my wife and I got married we went there and they had several HUGE sample books of invitations to look through. It was a tedious but also very fun process finding cards that fit our personalities and which conveyed the sort of message that we wanted to send to our wedding invitees.

We saved money on several aspects of our wedding (we didn't have hardly any money when we got married), but in my humble opinion, the wedding invitations aren't an area where you should skimp.

Check online and see what stationary stores are nearby, and see what their prices are like. If worse comes to worse, you can check out a local Staples:

https://www.staples.com/services/printing/custom-invitations/wedding-invitations

https://www.staples.com/wedding+invitations/directory_wedding%20invitations

Or Walgreens:

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/wedding-invitations#/bspview

Good luck!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My wife and I had a similar experience. We considered printing the ourselves but decided against it. Home later printing was expensive at the time and then there were card stock issues as you mentioned.

Ultimately we went to an online provider an got some nice invitations at a reasonable price. I don't think we could have printed them for the same amount.

@OP Whatever method you choose, don't forget to include the cost of thank you cards. People still appreciate hand written cards and some vendors include them in a bundle.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My only contribution to this thread is that we bought a HP Envy 100 D410 series Printer/Scanner about 5 years ago and it still works perfectly via WiFi with both my wife's 2018 13" MBP, both of our iPhones and my new M1 14" MBP.
I have had no problems with drivers or network preferences my only complaint being the obvious one; Inkjet printers cost a mint in ink cartridges so I usually get the black one refilled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.