Struggling to make a decision; iPhone or Android

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
Before the iPhone, Android was a knock-off of the market leader at the time -- BlackBerry. After they saw the iPhone, they swung around to make it look and work like that. FACT. No matter how much you may prefer their approach, there's a documented history that proves their inspirations -- in the same sense that Samsung changed direction after they saw the iPhone.

I am not petty enough to care about inspirations or original. To me caring about that is childish. For me that's like saying you can't/shouldn't get a Toyota because Ford created the car. Or don't get any first person shooter video game because their idea was sprung off doom (we'll assume that was first). Nintendo brought motion gaming to the industry (rather the popularity of it, same way iPhone did the touch screen) both MS and Sony followed, i prefer both of the over the original. Many more examples of this. That's what we as humans seem to do; Grow from ones greatness and succeed them.

To innovate beyond the original idea is a good thing in my opinion. I feel like Apple may be the 'originators' of the smart device, but they are definitely no longer the 'innovators'. I've read countless times how the iPhone has gotten stale etc. I've seen many Android like features implemented on iPhone and visa versa. For me that's a great thing, seeing how I like both it makes it easier (and harder) to move in on one platform.

Kind of like their Apple HDTV they wanna release. It's not an original idea but they wanna join that market and put their own spin on things. There's nothing wrong with that. Android took a great idea and put their own spin on it as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Before the iPhone, Android was a knock-off of the market leader at the time -- BlackBerry. After they saw the iPhone, they swung around to make it look and work like that. FACT.
In no way is this "fact." This also makes it sound as if Android has inherited inspiration from others while not itself serving as inspiration for others. Again, not a one way street.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi there,

I'm struggling to make a decision on if I should make the jump to iPhone or stick with Android. Please help me with this decision.

So basically I'm struggling to decide what to do.

So..errr..after the Gods have spoken and done battle...what have you decided? Does iOS suit you Sir.. or is Android a dutiful robot..?

This may help Mitchell & Webb - Secret order - YouTube

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your opinions and insight on the matter. I've rushed off today and impulsively purchased an iPhone 5. I'm currently running it on T-Mobile and it's not bad. I'm happy with it and very little regret is entering my mind at the moment.

Thanks again for the help much appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Glad to hear that you found the right fit for your needs. You made a great choice and I doubt that you'll regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Reaction score
Well, if you have the luxury buy 1 apple and 1 android :) I have a Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 and there's really a contrast between the 2. There's a lot of apps in apple that android doesnt have and vice versa. There will always be pros and cons in each product so if you are really confused then go for your 1st option. But for speed and other specs, I'll definitely use apple products. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
too late for the advice now but........if you like both so much, just do a **** coin toss the next time

Reading ALL this just gave me a bad headache, and in the end you were back where you started, both had its pros and cons, and it was all up to you

Have fun with your new iPhone

Cheers.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
I still think old Androids suck, Any Android with Jelly Bean I'd like to think is pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo iPod Touch, iPhone 5, iPad Mini (Black), & iPad/4th Gen (Black)
Well, if you have the luxury buy 1 apple and 1 android :) I have a Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 and there's really a contrast between the 2. There's a lot of apps in apple that android doesnt have and vice versa. There will always be pros and cons in each product so if you are really confused then go for your 1st option. But for speed and other specs, I'll definitely use apple products. Good luck!

Well said. Agreed. I have a HTC DNA and a iPhone 5. Many things to love about both.

:Smirk:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi , very nice analysis . Now choice is yours , make your mind go for iphone 5 .
Wasn't the whole point of my discussion to encourage the OP to make up his own mind? ;)

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your opinions and insight on the matter. I've rushed off today and impulsively purchased an iPhone 5. I'm currently running it on T-Mobile and it's not bad. I'm happy with it and very little regret is entering my mind at the moment. Thanks again for the help much appreciated.
I recently discarded all the accumulated obsolete PDAs and smartphones and other IT stuff I bought over the decades, chasing after the right OS, UI and hardware. I'm all-Apple now and thoroughly enjoying the simplicity and relative peace of the so-called walled garden. Leaves me free to be productive, entertained and connected without the fussing over systems that I did over the years, like what I see in this thread. My suggestion is to relax into it now that you've made the decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.