Strange behavior with Standby

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Apple makes good products, despite your pessimism, Patrick. So, when an issue arises, however trivial it is, it's worth pursuing. Overall the iPhone 15 Pro, with iOS 17.1.1, is excellent. Standby, when it works, is brilliantly designed and a great idea. However, there is an intermittent issue where it won't initiate, for some reason. It's not consistently reproduceable, so Apple has nothing it can "fix" at this point.

As for the "have you restarted" question, they did ask and I did answer that I had, with no change.

How widespread the Standby issue may be, I don't know, but on this site just Lisa and I have commented on it. On the internet there have been a couple of articles on Standby and getting it working, but none of them mentioned anything about the intermittent problem, so it's apparently not that widespread.

As a veteran of IT and software development, I can tell you that the absolute worst issue to have is intermittent issues. Until and unless one can duplicate the error consistently, it's like trying to fight with a blindfold on. You never know when or if it's fixed because there is no test for it.

I think Apple is making great hardware and even more spectacular software these days. You really ought to move into something more modern. The Mac in your profile is 11 years old, a dinosaur in computer terms. If all you use it for is as a dumb terminal to the Internet, it may work, at least as long as the Internet itself doesn't move beyond its capabilities. I suspect that will happen quicker than one might think.

One of my daughters has a Samsung phone, relatively new, and it's a piece of junk. I wouldn't have one if you paid me. Samsung owners, don't troll me, it's a free market (sort of), and we get to put our money where we want to. Samsung gets my money for SSDs, but not phones.

I'm not an Apple fanboi. I know Apple has flaws. Apple, for example does have a residual problem with Finder that has been there a long time in the form of a memory leak. It's been around for a few years now. It is a niche case, but it's there. It can be cleared by restarting the Mac, which may be why a lot of folks never see it, or it can be fixed with a Terminal "killall Finder" command to restart Finder. Apple knows about it, just hasn't fixed it yet. On the scale of things, it's not fatal. And that is why the "Did you try a restart?" question is on the checklists...it clears memory leaks (and similar problems) like magic!

People want "perfect" software but I tell you that anything beyond "Hello, world." will never be perfect. When you develop software you do the best you can. Complex projects like an OS are always released with known bugs. The objective is to get as many fixed as you can, with the severity of the bug as the priority setting factor. Trivial bugs get through, just because you run out of time. Unknown bugs show up when users to into the deep corners of the use envelope, to places that maybe 1% or less of users will need to go. Big, Ugly bugs that show up get fixed first, obviously, and smaller bugs may never be addressed before the software is retired. You develop workarounds for unfixed bugs and live with them.

A lesson from the past: NASA never wanted to have any incident in manned space flight due to software, so they invoked a "zero defect" policy. That policy meant that testing software had to go into EVERY corner of the use envelope, and beyond. Once the source code was approved, a change to a line of flight code would take 5 years to get approved to fly. That long lead time was the reason that the Apollo missions were flown with really old computers. And yet, when on final approach to the Lunar landing, Apollo 11 reported an error code that was created by a circumstance that NASA didn't anticipate--too many "watchers" pointing radar and radio antennas at the spacecraft to make sure it was on the proper track! Fortunately, the programmer of the code realized when the error popped up and told flight control that the error was "Good to go, Flight" and the mission continued. The code was never fixed, they just told the "watchers" to stop. The programmer knew the error message because the code had been frozen for five years and it had been memorized by then.

So, you can have frozen code and zero new stuff, or you can have new stuff and some bugs to work around. I like new stuff, and I'm willing to work with programmers to squash bugs when I find them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow Jake!! Right after they told me to reset my phone that would have been a big no! You are determined. And puck firmware - really? They have a OS glitch and just haven't figured it out.

For me, standby is working okay. I do wish the clock would stay lit all night instead of fading off after some undetermined time. But it comes back on when I tap it so I. can live with that.

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow Jake!! Right after they told me to reset my phone that would have been a big no! You are determined. And puck firmware - really? They have a OS glitch and just haven't figured it out.

For me, standby is working okay. I do wish the clock would stay lit all night instead of fading off after some undetermined time. But it comes back on when I tap it so I. can live with that.

Lisa
Yeah, the puck firmware was a surprise. The tech didn't have a reason for it, just that other techs had found that getting the puck firmware updated solved the problem for some folks. I told him I never used the puck because I had two Anker stands. He started down the "well, if it's third-party...." path and I cut him off with the reminder that 2 of three times it works on both stands and he shut that line down.

I don't know if you saw my post that the other night it stayed on all night until about 7 am, when it reverted to the lock screen without me touching it. That was a new twist.

Since the reset, I've been able to get it working every time, but then again, it's early in the evening. The test will be later tonight, when it gets put on the nightstand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well Jake, I hope it continues to works. One thing I have never had is it going to the lock screen. If it is black I touch it and the clock comes on. I can control Audible by swiping down on the little audio thingy.

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hoping the reset works. If not, I may be through testing and will just live with it until Apple issues an update to fix it. It's not a show-stopper, and if I wasn't retired and had a lot of free time, I wouldn't have bothered at all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Apple makes good products, despite your pessimism, Patrick

I'm sorry you misunderstood what I said if you think I am pessimistic regarding Apple and your iPhone problem, but that is definitely not the case, but I thought you might be a bit unhappy if not dissatisfied with your situation.

I guess I was wrong.

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, life is too short to be unhappy about something as trivial as Standby. Thanks for the clarification.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I do wish the clock would stay lit all night instead of fading off after some undetermined time. But it comes back on when I tap it so I. can live with that.

I don't use Standby at the moment largely because I have an "atomic" clock bedside which is mains-powered (not battery). It shows the time permanently and has the advantage that it automatically changes the clock for summer & winter time.

That little intro is my way of saying that, like Lisa, I want the "clock" whatever it is, to show the time all the time. I wouldn't fancy having to tap it to see the clock. I rather like being able to turn over at night and with a blink from one bleary eye, read the time. :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

After reading through all the seemingly complicated procedures to get everything working as one once at this article, it seems you don't even need to touch your phone to get it to wake up but just wave your arm or something to enable the Motion to Wake option:

Wake on Motion

Regardless, I think I would prefer to use Ian's or Bob's methods if I was in the same situation. At least they work without a lot of fiddling and numerous Help calls to the Apple Support Line.

And BTY: unless I'm misreading Jake's iPhone specs, that same article makes a point has to why continual Standby and his alarm clock may not stay on as he wants:
If Low Power Mode is disabled and StandBy mode still won't stay on, check your iPhone model. Continuous StandBy mode requires an ‌iPhone‌ with an Always-on display, and this feature is only available on ‌iPhone 14‌ Pro and ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ devices.

Jake's listed forum specs show that he has an iPhone 13, and that may have something to do with the Standby problem I would think unless I misunderstood something regarding the conditions. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick my phone is now a 15. I think I mentioned it in the thread. I'll change the profile.

It worked last night exactly as advertised. Switched into Standby, then went red when the lights went out. I woke a couple of times in the night and it was on. Went off after 8 hours or so (I looked at it at the 7:45 point and got up at the 8:15 point and somewhere in between it went dark.) And all day yesterday, after the reset, it went into Standby smoothly. I'm encouraged that maybe the reset actually did set something to make it work better.

As for the "motion" to get it to light up, when it was dark all I did was to tap the nightstand. The sensors for it are very sensitive and just that little tap seems to trigger it. Maybe it's sensing movement, but it didn't come on when I moved my head, just on the tap, so I think it's a motion detector in the phone sensing the tap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And all day yesterday, after the reset, it went into Standby smoothly. I'm encouraged that maybe the reset actually did set something to make it work better.

That's good news and it sounds like a Reset, or maybe even several, is always a good problem-solving technique to use when something that should isn't working properly.

Good news.

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reset itself has created a lot of other issues associated with it. iCloud settings, Siri, Wallet, Home, connections to my Apple TV set top box, Apple Watch, etc., are all impacted. Reset is not a trivial step these days with so much interconnected. It's a bit like burning down a house because you don't like the paint.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last night was another successful night. Again, the clock went black after about 7-8 hours, re-lit with a nudge of the nightstand. All day it has worked as advertised. If it works tonight, I'll call it done.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Three consistent, good nights. Standby stayed on until 8 am, about 8 hours after I invoked it. I'm calling it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.