SSD Upgrade Mid 2012 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
So the 'self repairing' MacBook Pro HD bit the dust. The machine will only boot into internet recovery mode, and won't allow a Time Machine backup or anything else for that matter. Previously, it booted into machine recovery, and allowed my to select the start up disk and it booted. Not anymore.

Went to MacSales to order an OWC replacement, and EVERYTHING is sold out.

Can anyone recommend an alternative product in Toronto CAN.? I'm going to replace the cable as well.

TIA!

Last edited:
OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
So the 'self repairing' MacBook Pro HD bit the dust. The machine will only boot into internet recovery mode, and won't allow a Time Machine backup or anything else for that matter. Previously, it booted into machine recovery, and allowed my to select the start up disk and it booted. Not anymore.

Went to MacSales to order an OWC replacement, and EVERYTHING is sold out.

Can anyone recommend an alternative product in Toronto CAN.? I'm going to replace the cable as well.

TIA!
Ahh, the embarrassment of replying to my own thread.
Ended up buying a Crucial MX500 1TB internal SSD. Seems to get good reviews. Also, a new HD cable. Will be performing surgury this weekend. Next stop, the 2011 iMac!

OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
Quick question. I installed a new hard drive cable in my MBP. Totally fixed the drive not recognized issue. When I ran DriveDX, it's reporting OK with the exception of the Load Cycle Count, which is very high (I'm about to replace the drive). It also noted this (see attached image). Is this something to be concerned about? Te cable is new and installed correctly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 12.12.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 12.12.11 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 4
OP
mrjimmy
Reaction score
I'm really curious where you got the impression that your Mac's hard drive is/was "self repairing"?
I was joking with a dash of denial. It kept resurrecting itself, like Peter Sellers in the opening scene of The Party.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.