SSD compatibility?

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Power Mac G5 currently running 10.5.8. Has 1 gig ram, 2.5 ghz dp and 500 gig harddrive. I am looking to add a SSD in the other hard drive bay to put ubuntu on. What low price ssd would be the best? and would an intel SSD work fine?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Im not sure what SSD you should buy because I have never dealt with them personally but I am quite sure that a intel SSD won't run on a Power Mac G5 because its a PPC machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An Intel SSD will work. The fact that Intel makes it has nothing to do with being able to run it on a PPC machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not quite true.

OWC have released the IDE Mercury Legacy Pro and Google has many reports on the speed up in a G4 PowerBook. Fitting them in a G5 may require the use of an Icey Dock or similar to convert from 2.5" to 3.5".

Here is a link to OWC. Have a look and ask them through the chat line about installing in a G5. Before jumping suggest you think the value through as G5 PowerPC are old technology and will not run the last two operating systems nor quite a few applications which are Intel only. Maybe putting the money towards an Intel machine may the better option.

OWC OWCSSDMLP240 240GB Mercury Legacy Pro SSD 2.5"... in stock at OWC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.