Sparrow: alternative Gmail client for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
But I guess that's where I'm confused too because Mail already works with those things via IMAP.

Tags = Folders
Stars = Flags
Archive = depends on the setting you use. Could either delete (which I prefer) or you have access to the All Mail folder.

So really Sparrow doesn't do anything that Mail doesn't already do for you. It just presents it in a different way.

I guess while you are correct, and I agree with your statement, my opinion diverges when you consider that is only on your computer. If you tagged, or starred something on gmails site, how would that work? People who stay off of the site, or mainly on one computer, or don't use those features will probably be okay without something like Sparrow.

As far as dragging something into all mail folder as a means of archiving, I suppose that works in fact, but it seems so clunky and strange to me. I'm not a huge fan of mail, and postbox seems even more bloated. I was happy to come across something so simple and elegant as sparrow to perform a task so simple as sending an email.

Great point from Schweb though for anyone considering spending the ten bucks, you do have the functionality in Apples mail program if you like it.

(Great to hang out here again, my new Macbook pro sort of rekindled my interest when I came here to look for info on something else before I bought it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you tagged, or starred something on gmails site, how would that work? People who stay off of the site, or mainly on one computer, or don't use those features will probably be okay without something like Sparrow.

It works pretty easily. If I star something on Gmail's site, it's flagged in Mail on my Mac and if I tag something in Gmail it is in that folder in Mail. I work on many machines whether it's my Mac at home, PC at work, iPhone, or iPad in addition the random machine here or there I may use to log into Gmail.

Sparrow does nothing from a technical side that Mail doesn't already do.

As far as dragging something into all mail folder as a means of archiving, I suppose that works in fact, but it seems so clunky and strange to me.

That's not what I'm saying. You can set your preferences so "delete" in Mail works as an Archive. The same functionality you can set on your iPhone or iPad Gmail account.

I'd also venture to say that most people tag/folder mail they want to keep, I think the idea of just Archiving everything into one big mess of email is not the common behavior.

Sparrow's sole benefit (and that depends on the person) is in its visual design and some of the Gmail specific ways it may present something. But it technically offers no new functionality over Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks Schweb, I was beginning to feel like a crazy person for not "getting it".

Doug

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sparrow's sole benefit (and that depends on the person) is in its visual design and some of the Gmail specific ways it may present something. But it technically offers no new functionality over Mail.

Yep, that's basically it.

I guess at the end of the day it's all just a matter of presentation. There's a million different clients for Twitter, so why do some people choose one over the other? Mostly for a different presentation or UI.

After thinking about it some more, I think the fact that folders/labels are hidden out of sight until I need them, the ability to assign a message to multiple folders / labels and the quick reply feature are probably my fav features.

Anyway, check out the free version of you use Gmail - it might surprise you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Completely agree Apt and absolutely nothing wrong with paying for something because you like how it looks or functions better than something else. Twitter clients are a perfect analogy.

FWIW, I actually like the way Sparrow looks, it's a gorgeous app.

Reaction score
Sparrow's interface and looks are worth the $10 IMO, especially if you are going to use it long term. I hated using mail and now I've got a great, minimalist replacement. The developer seems pretty active too, so perhaps in the future they will allow for more email services and not just Gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I was leaning towards trying out Sparrow more when they added IMAP support, but given what I've seen of the new Mail in 10.7, I'm not so sure I need to do so any more.

how long before 10.7 will be out ?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No, Yahoo doesn't support IMAP right now.

Same thing with hotmail. I just ended up using my gmail to fetch my hotmail emails now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.