Spacing out Imac...mouse has mind of its own!

OP
M
Reaction score
The Erase Free Space will overwrite where files have been removed and not generate new space. There are problems where doing this creates a file which takes up all the free space showing the hard drive as full and it is then necessary to remove that file. This shoiws how:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...8-erase-free-space-function-disk-utility.html

A hard drive requires a minimum of some 15% to work anywhere near efficiently and if that is not the problem, any chance you have inadvertently downloaded malware called MacProtector, MacDefender, MacSecurity and similar names, and are you by chan ce running antivirus software which can bloat and slow your iMac?
No i havent Dl'd anything like that cause i do not trust them. I assume that mac own security is already good right? I rarely DL things from sources i do not trust. Could downloading certain types of files have to do with anything?

This has been going on for a couple months on and off maybe longer cause in this time frame i noticed its interfering with very important projects.

OP
M
Reaction score
yes you are stumped! hmm I'll make a vid so you can see for yourself whats really going on...cool?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK..... brain dump follows . . .

Open up Activity monitor (a spotlight search will find it)

click the CPU column header to sort High CPU usuage to the top of the list. Have a look to see if anything is hogging CPU when the hangs occur.

Next do a similar thing with disk activity, see if it peeks when the hang occurs.

At least this will give you a clue to the cause.

Ejext all mounted drives (including bootcamp)

Check you user account in System Preferences, see what's loading at startup in the login items. Remove any unecessary stuff.

run software update, make sure you're all up to date.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK..... brain dump follows . . .

Open up Activity monitor (a spotlight search will find it)

click the CPU column header to sort High CPU usuage to the top of the list. Have a look to see if anything is hogging CPU when the hangs occur.

Next do a similar thing with disk activity, see if it peeks when the hang occurs.

At least this will give you a clue to the cause.

Ejext all mounted drives (including bootcamp)

Check you user account in System Preferences, see what's loading at startup in the login items. Remove any unecessary stuff.

run software update, make sure you're all up to date.
did everything as followed. I even shut down. When returning online it worked like a charm! No lag...then the problems eventually returned and i think its even worse -_-

As far as the activity monitor im not sure what to look for but nothing spiked when the annoyances happened. Im up to date with the software. I used Onyx and it said things were OK.

could this be a virus?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.