Space on SATA DISK disappearing by the second

Reaction score
Hi!!! So I'm extremely frustrated. I got the notice I have no space left on my hard drive. I have a 1 TB SATA disk on my iMac. I run the Sierra OS- 10.12.1

So yesterday I spent the morning backing up important images and documents and deleting them after they were placed on my hard drive. This freed up 153 GB of space! All was well. Went to bed, woke up. I only have 1.97 GB of space left now. AND it keeps going down by the second, since I have posted this, i am down to 201.2 MB...WTH???? Why??? What could be the problem??? I am so lost. I run a business and I NEED to use my computer. Can anyone help? And I need free help because my account is over drafted and I don't get paid till next week but I can't make money if I can't use my computer!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welome to the orums.

First off run Recovery Mode over the hard drive. Then check Activity Monitor to see what is happening when the Mac whatever it is is left unattended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.