Something is making a boo-lee noise!

Reaction score
This happens 0-3 times week, for the last several months, and I can't figure out what's doing it.

Randomly, I'll hear a `boo-lee` sound from the MacBook, which sounds like a notification of some sort, but I'm not seeing an associated notification or pop-up or badge, nor am I seeing what in any app or website is doing it.

When I click into Mac notifications (by clicking the datetime section at the top right), nothing shows there (I've removed all widgets).

When I click through apps or websites to see what's causing it, I'm not finding anything useful!

How do I figure out what's doing it?!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's possible this is the MacBook's "alert" sound effect when something happens incorrectly/doesn't expect.

To check...go to:

Apple drop down menu >> System Preferences >> Sound >> Sound Effects

Scroll thru the list of sound effects...once you see the highlighted sound effect...click on it once...and the sound effect will sound-off. If this sound matches the sound you're hearing...then this is the source of the sound.

Of course have your MacBook volume loud enough to hear the sound effect. Some of them are softer/louder than others.

If this system alert sound does not match the sound you're hearing...then we need to keep digging.:)

Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
System Preferences >> Sound >> Sound Effects
I've gone through those and none of those match, not even close. Clicking them by the way sets the basic "nothing to do" sound effect (like when you hit a button where you can't do anything, like hitting Esc in a context where it doesn't apply. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, as I don't know how to define it further, and you can tell what I'm talking about anyway, by exiting the settings after choosing any sound effect but the first.

So now I don't know what to look for.

OP
M
Reaction score
I went into System Preferences > Notifications, looked at which apps have notifications and sound notifications enabled, but I'm not seeing how to play the notification sounds.

I can't tell which app is doing it, and I'd rather not try a process of elimination by disabling sound notifications on each one, that could take months, since the sound happens only a few times per week.

Now what? Is there a way to hear which apps have which sounds? Is there something else to click somewhere? Is there a command to run? Do I look in the app folder(s) for sound files?!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this might be a bit complicated...if you can make a short video that captures the sound (maybe with a smartphone)...upload the video here...we can watch/listen to it...and maybe one of us can figure out what it is.

Nick

p.s. If this is possible...the way to upload the video file is:

* Click on the "Media" button in the toolbar (to view this button click on the middle set of 3 vertical dots in the toolbar)...this brings up a secondary toolbar with the "Media" button on it.
* Drag & drop the video file into the window the "Media" button displays.
* Post message as usual.:)

OP
M
Reaction score
if you can make a short video that captures the sound
I would have to leave something recording audio all day every day for a week 😆 because it happens randomly for some unknown reason. I suppose I could try with an old cellphone... I don't know how feasible that is though, hopefully the phone wouldn't just stop recording randomly for some unknown reason (like overly-heavy sleep logic that software makers just love).

I don't think I'd need a video just to capture a sound though 😆

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Can you be more specific abour when you hear the sound? I realise its really difficult to write a sound so `boo-lee` probably doesnt represent the same sound to me as it does to you.
Does it happen while the computer is sleeping? I can understand that might be annoying. I have turned that option off in Notifications.

OP
M
Reaction score
I randomly discovered, just by pure chance, that it was HubSpot in-page notifications; very annoying, I never gave authorization for that, I guess websites can do that, but none I've used are as stupid and intrusive as HubSpot.

What I don't get now is why I can't trace from the Mac back to the thing making the noise... I guess maybe that could get too complicated, considering all of the things that could be outputting noise on a Mac.

Maybe if there were something in Activity Monitor related to sounds, that showed a list of things making a sound, and maybe a history of what made sounds (like app, maybe website, maybe feature, I don't know), that would be useful.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, firstly at least you now know the source now. Because it's web based, not system generated I'm not sure that what you suggest is possible. I would have thought there would have been web site or web app preferences that you could change. Have you checked with HubSpot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.