Solid State Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
SSD drives sound great and I'm sure they are, but until the price becomes competitive then your just wasting money as the benefits don't outweigh the cost - yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Firewire / USB

You don't need Firewire for a good external drive, USB is just as good.

A decent USB 2.0 hard drive is good, there's no doubt, but in the countless situations I have used a USB 2.0 AND a firewire 400 drive, the firewire is allways faster at nearly everything.

I work in video and am constantly chugging large, multiple files around and when someone brings me a USB drive to transfer from onto my firewire drive, I set it going and leave for a two week holiday while it does it thing :D

But, yes for normal everyday music, photo's documents USB 2.0 is fine.

Just thought I'd add my penny's worth :)

Anyway, with a 64Gb SSD drive, sure space is at a premium, but along with a time capsule, backup is easy peasy!

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
This is an ultra portable laptop. So you are also most definitely going to carry along a slim hard drive eh? Now tell me, how many small sized hard drives have you seen sporting firewire? Apart from one or two here and there, it's generally all USB based. And for good reason, cause those small sized drives don't offer the speed to make a difference a USB or Firewire...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
This is an ultra portable laptop. So you are also most definitely going to carry along a slim hard drive eh? Now tell me, how many small sized hard drives have you seen sporting firewire? Apart from one or two here and there, it's generally all USB based. And for good reason, cause those small sized drives don't offer the speed to make a difference a USB or Firewire...

Very true, i was just saying that there is a difference in speed between firewire and USB 2.0 (firewire being faster)

For reference, this is a hard drive I have been given footage on and it roars along quicker than most drives.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10722

Just saying.

Mel
x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's no doubt that Firewire is faster than USB 2.0, it's just that for the average person who gets an external hard drive to use for things like Time Machine, they won't notice much of a difference between the two. However, in a case like yours where you do a lot of transferring, then yes, the difference is tangible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.