• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

so whats America really like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
James said:
No, i think it is more their incredibly boring insuffrable egos that is hard to put up with. I see no reason given their history why the French seem to think being French is something to particulary be proud of.

Allthough I agree with the annoying French ego...there's not much to be proud of being an American either, historically speaking...though most of them I met think their country is the greatest. Well, seeing anything related to the USA after WWII is nothing really to be proud of...but you will always find an ugly period in any nations history. As the European history is a lot older than the American, you will of course find more of those periods...but that goes for all European nations, not just French. The English history isn't anything to be proud of either...

As for every nations, there are idiots everywhere, no matter were they are from, and it's absolutely not representative for the whole nation.

By the way, NYs Lady Liberty is French...mad by the same guy who built the Eiffel tower... :cool:

Reaction score
Avalon said:
As for every nations, there are idiots everywhere, no matter were they are from, and it's absolutely not representative for the whole nation.

Very true, but as for the French I think they may be an exception to the rule.

Also true that every nation has it dark moments, as a european you should well know that with so many and for so long in your history.

Reaction score
dan828 said:
You must be a neighbor of mine. Living in Davis currently.

Yep, about 65 miles south of you at Modesto...I'm one of the rare ones, over 65 and native born...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
James said:
Very true, but as for the French I think they may be an exception to the rule.

Also true that every nation has it dark moments, as a european you should well know that with so many and for so long in your history.

Well, I have lived in France for over 10 years, and I think you're not too wrong I guess...but just come up with good arguments, and they mostly shut up. At least those with a certain degree of intelligence... :dive:

Reaction score
I usually get on well with French people, we always have the English French relation thing as a conversation point. I take the pee out their pompous language and they take the pee out of me being a Neanderthaloid Brit, and with Germans its also easy as then we can talk about one thing that both British people and Germans love, Beer.

Reaction score
Mr Bobbins said:
and with Germans its also easy as then we can talk about one thing that both British people and Germans love, Beer.

Now there is a universal language....beer....Altho being an American i never could really see how you guys could drink warm beer...till one weekend i went fishing and the ice ran out...hmmm warm beer isn't really all that bad...(G) Personally i have a fondness for Fosters, them Ausies know how to make a good brew and i especially like the size of their can...(G)

OP
D

Danster

James said:
Personally i have a fondness for Fosters, them Ausies know how to make a good brew and i especially like the size of their can...(G)

Do you Americans know what Larger is called?

I personally cannot stand that pee, it's just the good stuff for me.

Good ol' English brewed Brown Beer
(homer Sipmson drool gaaaarrrrr....)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well when I drank, Guinness was my beer of choice :)

Reaction score
Everywhere you go in Germany has it's own brew and it's naturally brewed so no nasty processes involved. Their are so many good beers in Germany, here in the Netherlands we have Grolsch which is my favourite Dutch beer and it's cheeper that mineral water in the shops, what more could I ask for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I'm partial to Guiness too...I'll drink Spaten and Franciskaner also. Isn't there fruit beer in Germany also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
I'm partial to Guiness too...I'll drink Spaten and Franciskaner also. Isn't there fruit beer in Germany also?

Nope, that would be Belgian beer. German beer has no additions, it is brewed only with natural ingredients, and only those ingredients that have been fixed in a law that is almost 400 years old.

In Belgium you can find a lot different beers, including fruit beers and other strange stuff, some are made only in very small quantities, and therefore are very rare...they have also some very strong beers, like 13-14% vol. which is as strong as a good red wine!

Reaction score
duval (devil) is a Belgian beer isn't it. Hope i have spelt it right. That stuff is evil like the name says, tastes nice but blows your head off at the same time. Ca dor chocolate is Belgian as well isn't it, lovely stuff with a good red wine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Avalon said:
Nope, that would be Belgian beer. German beer has no additions, it is brewed only with natural ingredients, and only those ingredients that have been fixed in a law that is almost 400 years old.

In Belgium you can find a lot different beers, including fruit beers and other strange stuff, some are made only in very small quantities, and therefore are very rare...they have also some very strong beers, like 13-14% vol. which is as strong as a good red wine!

AFAIK 7% is the max in the US for beer. I've heard of some in Georgia that were homemade and 7.5%. Is there a preferred beer throughout Germany or does it depend on the region?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Lots of locally brewed beers available in the US now (at least in California) there have to be at least 10 microbrewerys within driving distance of were I live. I'm partial to a local hefeweizen :)

OP
D

Danster

Murlyn said:
Well when I drank, Guinness was my beer of choice :)

I love a guinness down the pub but can't stand it from cans or that extra cold stuff :closed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can stand ordering a Guinness and the waiter serves you a bottle w/o a glass like it was Bud light...also love Hefeweizen

Reaction score
I had a good healthy diet of Guinness only when I was a student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It's interesting how it works.. When I drank, I noticed that the Guinness on the west coast of the US was not very good, while bottle was never good, canned was usually ok, then the further east you went, the better the Guinness was, as long as it was on tap. Then when I went to England, man it was awesome there!, then when I went up to Scotland.. it was even better! I never did make it to Ireland, but Im sure it was even better there.. and now that I don't drink.. when I do visit.. Ill have to test their water and juices :) I was a dark beer type of guy.. I couldnt stand lite beers.. it didnt matter what type it was, or where it was from. They needed to be dark :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
AFAIK 7% is the max in the US for beer. I've heard of some in Georgia that were homemade and 7.5%. Is there a preferred beer throughout Germany or does it depend on the region?

I think it's regional, as there are lots of differently brewed beers in different regions, like Weizen (mostly in Bavaria), Kölsch (the region around Cologne), Pils (all over Germany, though the city Pilsen, where the brewing style is from, is nowadays in Czech Republic) etc.

@Mr Bobbins:
AFAIK, Duval is the name of a town in Belgium, and it doesn't mean devil. And it's Côte d'Or chocolate you mean. One of the best you can get.

James was right a few posts earlier, beer is an universal language. Since the subject changed to beer, there's a lot more conversation here... :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.