So Apple are playing games. Video out locked on IPT.

Reaction score
I'm confused. What is proprietary about composite signal that any TV can handle? All you need is an adapter that plugs into the bottom of the IPT. I'm sure they'll be all over ebay very soon.

When I wanted to hack my samsung phone, I could have bought the USB cable for a bagillion dollars from samsung. But people were selling them on ebay. So I got one. $12 shipped and arrived in 5 days.

I agree that $50 is wrong to charge for such an item. It's a few feet of copper and plastic for god's sake.

It's actually the cable and power brick they're selling for $50. The power bricks usually went for $30-$40 so $50 is actually a fair price. What ISN'T fair is that you don't have the option to just buy the cable.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Does anyone have any proof about this supposed chip that makes only Apples cable work, or are we merely arguing about hearsay?

Apparently so.

I saw it at Ilounge, which was a while back but I can't find anything to say it's not true.

"Presently, the only apparent way to turn this feature on is if you connect your iPod to a device with an Apple authentication chip built in. Authentication chips are only available in Apple products, and in a handful of products made by Apple-licensed third-party developers. The chips are not available to unlicensed developers, and add additional costs to the prices of iPod accessories. Upcoming Apple video cables that will work with the new iPods will sell for a staggering $49."

As of yesterday, there were posts on Mac rumours referring to a 'special chip'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.