Snow Leopard VS. Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
interesting facts.

Though apple has, been pretty smokin on OS releases these days. Let's face it, lion just came out a year ago or so and we're staring down ML already!

I was a holdout with snow leopard. I upgraded kicking and screaming. But doing what do these days being up tp date is important, so I've thrown caution to the wind and decided to just jump.

iCloud was my biggest reason for updating, I use mobileme for syncing calendars etc., and I just wasn't going to hold my nose for google stuff.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
GT, if you mini has a GMA3100 or GMA 950, out of the Box ML will not install. There is a way around it though but we will have to wait for release to be sure as Apple could Close that door that is now open in the DEV copy. My late 2007 Macbook does everything I need it to do but is cut off due to GMA3100 but am running a DEV on it till the end of the month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is ML still due out in summer? Or will it be fall?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
GT, it will be out in at the most 2 weeks. Some say 22nd. It's this month for sure.

My iMac 2007 is fully supported as it has a HD2600 ATI Radeon, but Macbook also late 2007 and 2006 Mini not. Macbook runs ML great. Just needed a 64-Bit video driver for GMA3100 and you edit one file and put in the Machines ID (not MAC address) special hidden ID.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Though apple has, been pretty smokin on OS releases these days. Let's face it, lion just came out a year ago or so and we're staring down ML already!

I was a holdout with snow leopard. I upgraded kicking and screaming. But doing what do these days being up tp date is important, so I've thrown caution to the wind and decided to just jump.

Hey...I'm like you. I usually don't have the latest model computer...and I'm not always running the latest OS version (still running 10.6.8 on my MBP).;)

But even if we (and others) don't immediately upgrade to the latest hardware & software...this doesn't mean that the world stops moving forward.;)

After investigating the facts...I don't think that it should be too surprising that a 2007 Mac-Mini (at least at this point with the info we have)...will not run OS 10.8 Mountain Lion (based on the number of OS versions that this Mac-Mini can run on it)...10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.....and hold our breath...maybe 10.8.

Who knows...even if Apple says that a 2007 Mac-Mini does not meet the min. specs. for ML (someone 3-6 months after ML is released)...may come out with an app. to allow ML to install.:)

Historically...a computer would not not meet the min. specs. for a new OS version because:

- the cpu (core 2 duo) was too old
- the cpu speed...was too slow
- or the computer couldn't support the minimum amount of ram for the new OS version

In this case (with Mountain Lion)...it seems that Apple has added a new "wrinkle"...and made a graphics hardware requirement for the new OS as well (which is a bit unusual).

So honestly...a Core 2 Duo cpu would probably run ML ok (assuming the ram requirements were met)...it's the graphics requirement that's in question.

Whatever Apple has in store for 10.8 (which necessitates a graphics hardware requirement)...better be pretty darn special!!!;) I guess we should know in 2+ weeks (if everything remains on schedule).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool. It may be an OS I jump sooner than later.

I can't say I love lion to death, and safari is a bit thumpy for me. I suspect mountain lion may be the one.

That, and I've held out on my iphone for the 5.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool. It may be an OS I jump sooner than later.

I can't say I love lion to death, and safari is a bit thumpy for me. I suspect mountain lion may be the one.

That, and I've held out on my iphone for the 5.

In the DEV versions Safari is totally fixed. I can do all sorts of heavy flash and memory never goes way out of control and releases instantly running Sun Spider.

To Nick. It's totally the GMA950 and 3100 but all that is truly needed to make it work are updated 64-Bit drivers. The drivers that apple has are 32-Bit. There is a site with 5k posts all working on this issue! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great news about safari.

I like chrome but google is too invasive.

Reaction score
Upgrade to Lion

I have upgraded my 15" 2.66/4GB Macbook to Lion. It takes a l-o-n-g time to get started and many common functions are v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. My 2.13/4GB Toshiba Satellite laptop running Linux may not have the capabilities, but it starts up and runs at lightning speed compared and since I need it for little more than running a fast browser at work, it is perfect in that setting.

I think Lion is probably great on the new generation of Macs, but I will not convert any more older ones. When SL support runs out, I will convert them to Linux.

Sent with Ubuntu Linux 11.1 running on the MacBook under Fusion.

John F

Hey all, new Mac user learning the ropes and having fun doing so.
Thanks so much for all the help this far, everyone has helped to make this transition a very smooth one.

I'm starting a thread curious about updating to Lion from my current Snow Leopard. What are everyone's thoughts on the updates? Should I do it? What are the main differences between the two? Will Snow Leopard soon loose support the way Microsoft phased out XP, etc.?

C

chas_m

Your machine is considerably more powerful and has more RAM than the 2.13GHz BlackBook (3GB RAM) I just retired from active service, and it ran Lion just fine. There is something else going on there, methinks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac; Intel Core i7 Processor
Still hanging on to Snow Leopard

I am self-employed and have been using 27" iMac since Nov 2010, my first Apple computer. Here are the specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
(Probably too much info, but just in case...)

I am still running Snow Leopard. After experiences with PCs, I am very hesitant to adopt new OS until they've been out quite a while, and with comments on Lion, I was definitely in no hurry. Now they're introducing Mountain Lion, and I fear SL will be left in the dust and unsupported.

I am not a gamer. I do create a lot of PowerPoints (Yes, I know, I should change to Keynote...) write lots of documents, and use FireFox and Chrome as my usual browsers. (Chrome being the better choice for making purchases for some reason. I love playing with iPhoto and will upgrade to Aperture one of these days.

I would really welcome some sage advice about whether I should make the OS switch!
thanks,
Joan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There really isn't any point of waiting anymore. Lion has matured and any initial release bugs have long since been fixed. As for Mountain Lion, I haven't heard of any serious bugs, and from the sounds of it, the development releases were pretty stable also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I do create a lot of PowerPoints (Yes, I know, I should change to Keynote...)
Don't feel that you need to change, just for the sake of being as all-Apple as possible. Use what you prefer. Just because you prefer Apple's OS doesn't mean you have to favour their presentation creation suite over Microsoft's too. The whole point of a free market is consumer choice ;)

I'm not actively trying to discourage you - there are benefits of switching to Keynote, iWork's growing integration with iCloud being one of the main advantages, so long as you do remain up to date with your OS - but the fact that you still are using PowerPoint, coupled with your apologetic tone when admitting it, makes it sound more like you're shaming yourself into changing for the sake of it than that you actually want to...

Reaction score
Sound like a 2008 Macbook shouldn't be updated to later than Snow Leopard? Unless you add RAM? Mine has 2GB RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.