smudges on the "inside" of the display

Reaction score
I purchased a 24 inch iMac a little over a year ago. I increased my graphics card, through apple, to 512. On several occasions, with this computer, there were "smudges" along the middle of the display, and a yellowish discoloration along the perimeter of the computer. On the 3rd time of this occurring, Apple replaced my computer with a completely new computer.

I have had this computer now, for a couple months, and already had the spots again. I brought the computer to Apple, and they said that they would fix it again, but that something is obviously wrong here. They said it could possibly be from smoke, but my house is a completely smoke free house.

My question would then be do you think this is occurring because of my increased graphics card? This is the only possible explanation I can think of why two completely different computers are having the same problem. Any ideas? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean "you increased your graphics card through Apple to 512"? The GPU is surface mounted to the main board (logic board) on the iMac and also the notebook line of computers. The graphics chip can not be changed. I think you mean you ordered an iMac with the 512 MB GPU option?

In any event, a graphics card is not going to induce smudges on the inside of the glass protective panel or on the display. If the smudges are occurring it's possibly because the display itself is defective. You just got two defective displays - bad luck. Maybe the third will be OK. :)

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your response... and you were correct about my graphics card... sorry about the mishap... I'm bringing my computer to Apple tomorrow. However, after being on the phone with applecare last night for roughly an hour, it doesnt seem like they will be doing anything for me... they say that it has to be environmental.... However, according to my applecare plan, the care only becomes void with abuse, or extreme temperature or humidity, which my computer is not susceptible to. So we'll see how this all turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.