• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Smoking voids your Mac Warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Firstly: You came across very offensive in that post. Desecrate? Really? Desecrate? Come on, it's a computer not a religious icon or a holy machine. I have no real issue with Apple not wanting to cover said machines, I do think they should tell the consumer about it though.

Secondly: After more or less apologizing in the first part of that paragraph you then go on to insult smokers again towards the end. Our lungs don't have a warranty? Really? Thanks for the tip Mr Obvious, I thought my lungs HAD a warranty! Dang, what do I do now, I once breathed some third hand smoke from a camp fire when I was 12, I'm afraid I'll die of cancer. The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Can you be any more patronizing? But hey, you wished peace to us all, even those evil, moronic smokes out there. How thoughtful of you. Really.....
Couldnt have said it better ... *cough* cough* Just clearing my lungs ;P

Reaction score
Firstly: You came across very offensive in that post. Desecrate? Really? Desecrate? Come on, it's a computer not a religious icon or a holy machine. I have no real issue with Apple not wanting to cover said machines, I do think they should tell the consumer about it though.

Secondly: After more or less apologizing in the first part of that paragraph you then go on to insult smokers again towards the end. Our lungs don't have a warranty? Really? Thanks for the tip Mr Obvious, I thought my lungs HAD a warranty! Dang, what do I do now, I once breathed some third hand smoke from a camp fire when I was 12, I'm afraid I'll die of cancer. The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Can you be any more patronizing? But hey, you wished peace to us all, even those evil, moronic smokes out there. How thoughtful of you. Really.....

I agree with you about the fact that Apple should tell you that smoking would void your warranty.
I do not agree with the rest of your post. I did not call you moronic. You called yourself that. And I am sure you realize the difference between chain smoking and sitting around a campfire (hopefully you do.) The reason I stated that your lungs don't have a warranty was to emphasize that unlike a computer, you can't replace your lungs. I am sure you realize this. Look at how strongly you are defending smoking. Really? Smoking? Interesting. I will defend your right to smoke (in your own home with other smokers or in designated areas) but to defend tooth and nail an addictive habit that is nothing but bad for you shows how these giant tobacco companies have you wrapped around their little finger. You once asked me if I work for the govt. I ask you: Do you work for a tobacco comany?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You're defending your views this strongly on a Mac enthusiast forum? Really? This is definitely not the place to get so heated over something you cannot control. If you hate smoking SO much, please do something else about it instead of justifying a subject that is almost impossible to be right/wrong in. I am sure there are just as many people against smoking to those who do smoke, and are for it. No, smoking is not healthy, but I'm sure many many people do not care. *I* do not care what someome else does to their body, that's their problem to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I did not call you moronic.
Not directly, but you did state:
Every time I see people standing outside smoking, all I can think is, "Idiots."
Is there some difference we weren't picking up on?

I'm not going to close the thread just yet... but, the bottom line is this... the third-grade level name calling and bickering ends right now.

Next person to post with an inflammatory remark or attempts to continue this little grudge match in the slightest gets a little time-out.
I don't even care if you've come back to 'apologize'... the argument is over. Period.

If you really want to apologize to anyone then do it privately in a PM.

Now, let's get back on topic.

Reaction score
Back to topic:
Regardless if you smoke or not, Apple should list this as a "warranty voider" if, in fact, it will void your warranty. It would suck to bring your Mac in to get repaired only to find out that the warranty was voided that you had no idea was a warranty voider. That's it from me on that subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Because of the "smoking warranty void", I guess if your Mac craps out on you in Amsterdam, then you are basically screwed. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.0GHz
This is absolutely ridiculous! Perhaps this is what happens when the head honcho gets pancreatic cancer. The tumor spread to his brain.

Reaction score
I worked on systems where the insides were clogged with dust and tar, obviously from smoking. It was disgusting. In hind-sight, it is a toxic hazard and very unpleasant to work on.

I don't doubt a tech said, "Um no..."

In the end, did it contribute to the failure and if it did and it's not covered in the warranty, and it's reasonable to assume it wouldn't be, then I would say the tech has a right to refuse.

For the sheer ick factor...I would say the tech has a right to refuse, but the company still has a responsibility to service the parts if the ickiness didn't contribute to the failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.