Smoking Poster

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't like your concept with the behind bars thing. It's misinformation and untrue.

Your skull one is better. Although the execution could be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're on the right track with the skull one.

The prison one... not so much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The skull picture is striking, and the message is loud and clear. I would continue with that one as the basis for your future edits.

The jail version still has a mixed message. No one goes to jail for smoking (at least not tobacco products).

Reaction score
I really like the skull one. I understand the jail one but its not quite as eye catching, so maybe you could mix the two? Just an idea

Reaction score
I like the first two best.

Personally, I think the text on the second one doesn't sound well, might go with something a little different, like "Have many have you killed already?"

Else, it looks great, although the prison one is a bit lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Second iteration of the "flame" one works for me the best, with some tweaks on where the light is coming from. The "cross" version is a bit offensive to me. What is it's message: implying Christians kill people like smoking does, or something to the effect? Or maybe the Jews killed Christ like cigarettes kill people? It's unclear and kind of extreme without direction of where to put one's tugged on emotional distress. The "skull" version is OK, but is kind of passe - seems like skulls are everywhere now so there's not really a shock value. The "jail" version would have been pretty cool, about 30 years ago before it was already used as a metaphor for addition/smoking/etc - they have been done before to one extent or another. I think your original idea with flames is good, just stretch yourself and mold the idea a bit more. IMHO, good luck.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Second iteration of the "flame" one works for me the best, with some tweaks on where the light is coming from. The "cross" version is a bit offensive to me. What is it's message: implying Christians kill people like smoking does, or something to the effect? Or maybe the Jews killed Christ like cigarettes kill people? It's unclear and kind of extreme without direction of where to put one's tugged on emotional distress. The "skull" version is OK, but is kind of passe - seems like skulls are everywhere now so there's not really a shock value. The "jail" version would have been pretty cool, about 30 years ago before it was already used as a metaphor for addition/smoking/etc - they have been done before to one extent or another. I think your original idea with flames is good, just stretch yourself and mold the idea a bit more. IMHO, good luck.

That's interesting. I think you are reading a little too much into it. I believe that cross shape is suppose to represent a grave stone. I don't see how Christians would be responsible for people dying from smoking, especially since smoking is a sin. Killing yourself is a sin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Guess I was just trying to say that the use "religious" symbolism was confusing to me. Also, it evoked a strong negative emotional response which seemingly had nowhere to go. No offense was intended. I saw a religious icon, the Crucifix, instead of gravestone I guess.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much better. Although I would tone down the cig a bit because it's way overpowering. Since everything is gray and black now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Haha, this thread reminds me of a banner I created for a friend on another forum I'm sometimes on...

Apparently some people there have signature images, expressing their opinions on non-smokers complaining about their habit. So she asked me to make this as a tongue-in-cheek response.

pod.jpg-20090510-104355.jpg

Personally I can't stand people smoking anywhere near me or the smell...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Here is an updated version...

i think if you are to make her seem like ash or what not, dont use the skull in the face.. you have a lot going on there and i think it would look good with her face there in this instance.

just my two pennies...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an updated version...

I think it's great. It conveys a striking and immediately recognizable message. The tagline is simple and to the point. The message sticks, and that's the whole idea.

Well done. I'd leave it be.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think it's great. It conveys a striking and immediately recognizable message. The tagline is simple and to the point. The message sticks, and that's the whole idea.

Well done. I'd leave it be.

What about making the teeth of the skull a slightly yellowish colour?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I like the latest iteration. Don't touch the face in any way, adding color would be weird when the rest is black and white. Also, I like the prominence of the cigarette, don't blend it with the rest of the poster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just my completely non-expert opinion (I'll defer to DB for that), but the monochrome, "dead" theme is an important part of the message, I think.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate them greatly. However, I am still waiting for D3v1L80Y's response.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It looks good, but now that I've looked a bit closer, the arm is really off to the side, thus it looks like it's detached from her body.

OP
S
Reaction score
No modifications have actually been done to the actual image. Thus, the arm is in the exact same place in comparison with the original photograph.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.