Since Catalina my iMac is blinking when 2nd monitor is off

Reaction score
Hello,
The screen of my iMac is blinking when my 2nd monitor (Sony TV) is switching off but keeps connected. I have to unplug the HDMI adaptor (or the HDMI cable) to stop the blinking. This problem exists since I upgraded to Catalina from El Capitan. All equipment (hardware, cables, adaptors...) are strictly the same as previously.
What can I do to solve it ? Is there a terminal command to write or a pref setting to modify ?

I already empty the PRAM and SMC. nothing changes !
thanks by advance

my setup :
Imac 21.5" 2013 w/ SSD & 16Go RAM
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
thunderbolt/HDMI adaptor + câble HDMI to connect the TV
TV/moniteur Sony

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The first step to troubleshooting problems that involve a second monitor or multiple monitors, is to try a second set of cables.

I know you said that the problem has occurred since you upgraded from El Capitan to Catalina. That upgrade involved a big jump in macOS versions. As you probably are aware, 32 bit apps will no longer run in Catalina and that includes drivers (kexts).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.