Service Battery?

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I'd call Apple about it.
Explain it to them, even get an email address that you can send them that information if they don't see it your way straight away.
I'd like to think that if you can get the right ear to listen, that they will offer you a replacement, or give you authorisation to take it to a genius bar free of charge, for evaluation and/or replacement.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm going to try and re-calibrate it since from what I'm getting on google that's a "fix".. if not, I have an apple store within walking distance from me. I'll be sure to call apple first though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Geez.... walking distance, that would be my home away from home :D
Closest one to me is around an hour away once I can find somewhere to park :/

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geez.... walking distance, that would be my home away from home :D
Closest one to me is around an hour away once I can find somewhere to park :/

man that's brutal.

Yeah, :)

Screen shot 2010-03-17 at 6.24.49 PM.png

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's an update.

Last night I let my MBP sit on the charger for 3 hours while I worked away on it.. unplugged it and starting draining the battery.. come 65% left or so the "Service Battery" icon went away.. and the computer acted normal.

Let it drain down to 0% and let it go to sleep, left it asleep for 6 hours and plugged it in this morning.. it's currently at 94% charged and things seem good.

I did unfortunately have a 12 minute lapse in charging when I had to transport the laptop to work this morning (charging took a bit longer then expected).

hope that didn't harm anything during the recalibration .

unfortunately though my battery's health went from 90% down to 84%.. maybe it'll jump back up to 90% come the end of the charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Glad the Service battery message has gone.... that't have to get under your skin eventually. Keep tabs on it, and keep the log! I'd still contact Apple about it though.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, it just came back.

I was using my computer off the charger, got down to about 8% and the "service battery" came back again. My battery health also dropped from 93% to 68%.

I still believe this to be a snow leopard flaw and not my actual battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time to call Apple.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
odd.

I decided to re-calibrate the battery again (worked last time) and when i got it down to 60% the "service battery" went away.. exactly like last time.

This has to be a software glitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to rule out software, repair disk permissions and download and install Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update (Combo)
Otherwise as I've said.... time to visit Apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.