Send audio to wifi/airplay network without iMac

Reaction score
Help!

We have most Apple devices - iMac, Macbook Pro, Airport extreme, express,TV, time capsule.

We would like to send audio from LG Oled TV or set top box to main sound system in a different room. We already stream music to this system using airport express from iMac/ipad/iphones.

Is there a way of having TV/set top box audio on the main sound system without iMac involvement?

I know there are av sender/receivers which will accomplish this but would rather not add even more devices outside of the existing mac/wifi network.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe. We can give you better answers if we know the specific model of the LG TV. We also need to know about the make and model of the main sound system.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Slydude, thanks for your quick reply. Just got it as we have been away.

The TV is latest model LG G6 Signature. Amplifier is old but still good Yamaha with analogue RCA inputs. It works well using Airport Express from any other Apple device.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm gonna have to let one of our audio gurus chime in here. If I grabbed the right manual it should be able to go on your wireless network. The manual shows network settings but I am not sure if there is a way to direct the sound to the Airport without the computer being involved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'm out trucking right now, but I'll revisit this one when I get home. My LG TV should be essentially the same as yours and I use a Yamaha AV amplifier (RX-A730). It would be useful to know what model your Yamaha is.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the signal path necessary to achieve what you're looking for. Right now, I'm guessing that it won't be possible since there is no way of using the TV as a server. However, once I have access to my equipment I'll try to figure out if there's any way.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
The Amp is a Yamaha AVC30. The analogue or digital audio to be sent wirelessly could be sourced from either the TV or the cable TV set top box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Large post detailing what I did to figure out that what you want is not possible deleted because:

This may be what you are looking for.

PLEX adds server capability to your LG TV. Instructions for installing it may be found on this YouTube video. I've heard of this before but never used it. From what I understand, once you have PLEX installed, your output will be sent via your network to your AirPort Express connected to your amplifier. (By the way, in case you didn't know it, the speaker output of the AirPort Express also contains an optical output. Just plug a mini TosLink cable into it instead of an analogue audio cable and plug the other end into a standard TosLink input on your amp.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAk5qP0kKw

Hope this works for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent thought KevinJS. I never thought of that possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent thought KevinJS. I never thought of that possibility.

I kick around home theatre forums. I've seen people talking about PLEX, particularly Mac users but since I use Foobar2000 on a PC and iTunes on my Mac, I've never thought about trying it out. It tends to go the opposite way to what I'm interested in. When I was fooling around earlier trying to figure this out, it was actually the first time I'd heard output directly from my TV speakers. I usually have the sound blasting out of anything from a pair of electrostats to 9 speakers and 2 subs.

What the OP is looking for is certainly possible, but requires the use of an LG sound bar or other LG compatible device. LG Wireless Sound Sync seems to be some form of propriety BlueTooth and is incompatible with non LG devices.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried Plex a while ago on my MacBook Pro. I never really got it running right for me. Itnever seemed to complete the step of reading my library. I know it has improved significantly sine then. Maybe it is time to try that again.

Too bad the Bluetooth feature in those TVs is proprietary. There are devices that could have been used to pass sound to the receiver.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin.
Looked at the youtube video. Looks very interesting. Will try the app when I get back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.