• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Security alert: New Trojan Horse apps said to attack the Mac

Reaction score
A virus for mac? No! It can't be! Actually, to the best of my knowledge, the reason why macs were relatively virus free was because nobody used them. As macs take up more and more market share, they will become more and more attractive to hackers.

A debate came up in my English class about Apple computers. One guy said viruses weren't created for the Mac because no one cares. And I thought to myself- "isn't that a good thing?"

Fun applications are created for the Mac, but not viruses. And this is NOT a VIRUS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So are you saying that we shouldn't tell people? I know you hate any suggestion that Mac OS X isn't 100% ultimately secure,
I have never, and would never, assert that anything is 100% secure. I don't know where you're getting that from. I've never suggested that any software was 100% secure. I don't believe in OS X as a magic bullet; I personally add LittleSnitch and a network firewall to my personal security arsenal.
but sometimes I think sharing the information is important. ;)
I don't think that saying "Beware of trojan.osx.boonana.a!" one month, and then "Beware of trojan.osx.doodadd.a" the next, and "trojan.osx.whatsit" the month after is useful information. The message from these sorts of warnings is "Some new and different threat is out there! Panic!"

Well, I've never seen one that's significantly different from the last one, and there've been, what, a dozen of these red alerts by now?

The message should be, "Don't install anything unless you've checked up on it first." Which, if followed, would have protected you against every trojan since the beginning of time.

Of course, some people haven't gotten the message. And I don't think there's any hope for them. Switching to Mac OS X won't save them, switching to Linux won't save them. Installing an antivirus program won't save them. And warning them about some new digital boogeyman won't save them. They're the walking victims of the computer world.

Security is pretty simple. You don't need a Mac to be secure, (but it helps.)
  1. Use strong passphrases, and use different ones for your computer, email, Facebook, banking, work, and other accounts.
  2. Don't run as admin as a habit; reserve this for installing software
  3. Keep your OS (whichever that is), browser (whichever that is) and plugins (all of them) updated
  4. Use a firewall. If you can stand it, use one on your machine and another on your network.
  5. Don't download or open anything unless you know what it is. Google its name if you don't.
Guaranteed to work against all future trojans or your money back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I read threads like this year after year just wait as Apple gains market share your next
and I realize nothing is impossible but some things are improbable and it seems the more
popular Mac's become more things will be spread whether there true or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display
It's a serious issue for people who aren't informed of the danger or people who just click "accept" or enter their password into anything that pops up....which is probably most people.

Just curious.. Is this your opinion, a guess (educated or not).. Or actual experience from what you've seen and or read here on the forum? If the latter, that is a surprising and I suppose scary thought.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just curious.. Is this your opinion, a guess (educated or not).. Or actual experience from what you've seen and or read here on the forum? If the latter, that is a surprising and I suppose scary thought.

Go into Windows tech support for a year. You'll be surprised no longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display
Windows? I thought schweb was referring to Mac user's here? You know, the personal computer user's who are suppose to be smarter than everyone else. (joking about the latter).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Schweb specifically referred to "people". No mention there to differentiate those using OS X from those using Windows.

I mention Windows tech support specifically, because that is where you will discover it is true, that the majority of people click on things without any consideration about what they are clicking on. You'll discover it there, because there are more nasties there, not because those using OS X are somehow inherently smarter than to do such a thing.

Reaction score
Go into Windows tech support for a year. You'll be surprised no longer.

I know where you're coming from. As the local computer guy on campus, I see this every so often. And I have to casually explain to them that they need to watch what they click on, what site they visit from search engine results, and more specifically when it was relevant, to not use P2P clients like Limewire and Frostwire. Most say they prefer it over iTunes and (not to get too deep into this, I apologize for this) so on and so forth. I also tell them to not open emails if you don't recognize who it is from, or if it is in a spam inbox to just delete it regardless.

I could go on about repairing boot sectors a few times when the campus IT wouldn't help them but..that'll be a bit…long.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Windows? I thought schweb was referring to Mac user's here? You know, the personal computer user's who are suppose to be smarter than everyone else. (joking about the latter).

People are people. There are smart people and dumb people using all platforms. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's simple really. If you protect the users like OS X does then everyone is happy. The average can't (most times) screw up their system by accident and the pro users don't to keep such a vigilant check on their doings. They can be safe the OS is taking care of itself without the need for maleware/antivirus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.