Screen fades to white with horizontal lines then blacks out

Reaction score
When I was using my macbook pro 15" retina, fall 2013, the screen began to fade white and thick horizontal lines appeared.

It went black wth the screen still backlit afterwards.

When i restart it the computer will display aloading screen, or a working desktop. It will then black out or fade to white and black out.

Sometimes I can restart an hour later and get 15-20 minutes of uninterrupted usage until it fades to white and black outs.

Extra info:

I replaced a cracked screen by myself last year.

I did the Pram Reset and SMC reset to no avail.

I ran the test in startup to check for hardware issues. It said the battery needs to be replaced "soon"

Could it be a graphics card?
Or loose connection from me changing the screen?
how much will it cost to salvage the motherboard?

The behavior is erratic each tiem, but heres a video of it

https://youtu.be/ycfyORMdZMc

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It could be several things that might cause the symptoms you described. Before deciding on a course of repair you need to run some tests. If you have access to another monitor or TV and have the proper adapter(s) try attaching it to your MacBook Pro to see if the symptoms show up there also. If no symptoms are present on the external monitor, that would indicate a problem with the display or maybe the backlight of your MacBook Pro. If the symptoms show up on the external monitor, then it's usually a graphics problem.

Your model MacBook Pro was available with single graphics or dual graphics. Which specific model do you have? In any event, you can not change the graphics yourself since the chipsets are surface mounted to the logic board. It would mean a new logic board. If it turns out to be the graphics which are at fault, you should contact Apple to see if that is still covered under an extended warranty.

Also, your battery is a non user replaceable type, however, with the proper tools you can replace it yourself if you can locate a new battery. I believe you will need a Pentalobe screwdriver set to replace the battery.

OP
P
Reaction score
So I'm actually traveling, but havent been able to hse an ext monitor.

Also when i start it up the computer will sometimes display loading screen, or even a working desktop, and then either blck out or fade to white and blakc out.

I can reattempt an hour later and get 15-20 minutes of usage until it fades to white and black outs again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.