Safari, what changed ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I have version 14.0.2 and since updating to the newest version, if I click on a link on Facebook, the link won't open. I have to copy the address and paste it in another tab. This is something new and not something I'm particularly enamored with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does it do that with other links, for example our site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you look through Safari > Preferences? It may also have to do with your Facebook settings.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Well, that's the weird thing. I don't open many links, and the links here seem to work, BUT ....... the FB links work fine in other browsers, even TOR which is slowly becoming my browser of choice.

There is nothing in FB settings that says "don't open links". I don't know anyone else that has 14.0.2 and FB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And it could be FB itself. They have been messing with the user interface over the last few months.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The links work in Firefox, Tor ( stripped Firefox) and Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And they worked for me in Safari (14.0.2) under Big Sur. So it has to be something in your system.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And they worked for me in Safari (14.0.2) under Big Sur. So it has to be something in your system.

Oh well, not a big deal. I can highlight a link and it and it opens in another window if I hit command/click. I never changed anything, I never do if something works. The ONLY change was the upgrade. Obviously SOMETHING changed, but I'm just scratching my head because I have no idea what changed.

There are other oddities that now occur with Safari. For example, when I open the computer from sleep mode in the morning, YouTube videos will begin playing without an open Safari window. When I open the "force quit" drop down menu, it shows Safari being open when it is not. If I click on Safari, it opens, but it opens a blank window. The music only stops using "force quit".

My point is only that since updating Safari it's behavior has changed and I can't figure out why.

This is such an insignificant issue, I feel a little guilty even utilizing the brain trust here when others have so much more pressing issues. I guess I was hoping it was a simple issue that everyone was having with a quick fix. Not a big deal, thanks for responding.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
YouTube videos will begin playing without an open Safari window.

Hi heptomaniac:

As regards the video playing without an open Safari Window etc, try this:

Open a Finder window. Select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. Now open the Library folder then the Safari folder.

Move the LastSession.plist and the Downloads.plist files from the Safari folder to the Trash. Then restart your Mac.

That suggestion started in an Apple Support site, then found it's way much later on in another site. Links below.

Worth a try? No harm. Safari will create new plists after a reboot.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, just because there is not an open Safari window, does not mean Safari isn't open/running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, just because there is not an open Safari window, does not mean Safari isn't open/running.
Yep, lots of folks miss that. The red X doesn't stop the app, just pushes it out of sight, still running. And there are settings in Safari to open the last page open when you restart, so if the last page was a video and Safari is in the restart list on boot, then the video will start to play when booted.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@hempomatic '

Just out of interest, did you try the "solutions" suggested in post #9? The suggestion and links seemed, on the surface, to relate to your problem. As they are harmless, worth a try?

And Happy New Year to you et al.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.