Safari vs. Firefox

M

MJGUK

Personally I prefer Safari, at least for now.
I love the look, speed, bookmark interface and .Mac integration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Is there a way to get Safari to display the padlock when you're on an SSL enabled page? I do like that feature. Maybe it's already in there and I'm just oblivious, but I don't remember seeing it. I love Safari and the way it "feels", but I am currently using Camino simply for Mr. Padlock right now.

J

John_S

I keep switching back and forth with Safari and Firefox. Safari usually gets slow when you have 20+n tabs open, but Firefox is slower in general. Still Firefox has extensions which can't be pimped in Safari. What a pickle :)

K

Kokopelli

I am currently running Firefox, though historically I seem to always go back to Camino. Safari for some reason never seems to be in the running for my primary browser.

Shiira is nice but I have had some stability problems with it. That plus I can not open multiple tabs simultaneously from an outside program. (important for me)

John S. : Are you on a PPC or an Intel based Mac? If PPC have you tried the Deer Park builds of FireFox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use both. firefox for downloads and games like mini clip, and safari for general stuff.

1. yes safari does support tabbed browsing (and it is very fast)
2. Not sure - but i assume there are some plug ins out there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
ive stayed with firefox....lot less problems. Sometimes Safari gives me trouble with online email and saving info.

but thats just my opinion. Still Safari works well....at times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I use Safari and only Safari. Granted, I've downloaded about every free browser out there (and even demos for some like OmniWeb) but I still like Safari the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Initially I used Firefox, coming from a Windows platform, but Safari is growing on me. Has some quirks with certain websites, but workable, not to mention faster. I've noticed that IE on my Windows machine is loads faster than Firefox as well. But it's not a big deal because it's not like Firefox is horribly slow.

Reaction score
Mozilla doesn't use the maximum optimizations for Firefox out of concern for small-model machines. If you grab a Firefox build with -GL -O2 there is a noticeable difference in performance. There are many unofficial builders with significantly better builds compared to the official Mozilla builds. This applies to Windows, Linux and Mac OSX (Power).

Reaction score
I will have my processor and code optimized G5 build up for 1.5.0.2 one of these days. I wish I had more time to optimize for the G5 but Windows keeps me pretty busy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.