Safari blocked with malware warning

Reaction score
Did u restore your old account or migrate data from it after reinstallation?

Reaction score
Then you will have to go thru a systematic process-of-elimination of items in your user library folder.

From the Finder menu, choose Go->Go To Folder... and enter ~/Library. This will give you a finder window with a view into the Library folder for that account. The method you can use is: one by one, move (drag) items associated with Safari to the desktop (or another Finder window pointed at a folder that you've created for this process in Documents or some other convenient location). Then try to run Safari and see if there is a difference. If there IS a difference and it runs okay again, then the cause of the problem was something that you moved out of the Library. If it still doesn't work you can try the next item. Each time you move something from or to the Library, make sure you've quit Safari first. It will be a bit tedious but once you've found the culprit, you can move back much of what you pull out of Library, recovering things like your Safari bookmarks, etc.

Here is the order of items I would pull out in order to find the culprit:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist (file)
~/Library/Saved Application State (folder)
~/Library/Caches/*Safari* (any folder with safari in the name)
~/Library/Safari (folder)
~Library/WebKit (folder)

It's possible that with one of the folders of stuff removed, you will get a different failure indication from Safari. If so, you will have to return the whole folder and concentrate on individual items in that particular folder instead.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020, 8GB, 512GB, Ventura 13.2
Hey ron4mac, I pulled out all of the things you suggested and I still have the same problem.

Other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey ron4mac, I pulled out all of the things you suggested and I still have the same problem.

Other suggestions?

Try:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist (file)
~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins (folder)

I won't be able to guess other things that may exist in that account Library. You may have to use some good judgement and try other things.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020, 8GB, 512GB, Ventura 13.2
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions. I ended up wiping the hard drive clean with the maximum security (7x) erase function. Now everything is A-OK. Thank goodness for backups!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions. I ended up wiping the hard drive clean with the maximum security (7x) erase function. Now everything is A-OK. Thank goodness for backups!

So a little piece of Javascript can be pretty insidious. Obviously there are less radical ways of getting rid of these "files" but perhaps for the average end user the broad blade method is easiest in the end. ie. get rid of everything and start again. Indeed johnodd4 suggested this method of zeroing out the hard drive as perhaps the only answer to, what he calls "Browser Traps". ;D

C

chas_m

A 1x pass would have been more than enough, but if you have the time I suppose ... anyway, glad to hear its working properly again.

Reaction score
Maybe for Windows. This is a simple javascript which disables the browser.
Quit Safari. Turn off your internet (wifi or unplug). Start Safari. Close the window and open another.
Reset Safari. Download and run: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
This "should" clear things up.
Be careful what you click on.

I had the same problem. Tried to reset Safari but the pop up blocked me. I did what you said and turned off the Wifi and was able to reset. Turned wifi back on and everything's fine. Thank you! I thought it was going to be much more difficult from reading the forum ??

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have to say Adware Medic is pretty good it has saved my *** a few times. I am definitely making a donation to this app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.