Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
can i just download the vista from torrent and install it thru bootcamp? i know its illegal, but does bootcamp support fake/copy Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Bootleg Vistas are full of viruses, from what I've heard, as well as being illegal. Best avoided.

Reaction score
can i just download the vista from torrent and install it thru bootcamp? i know its illegal, but does bootcamp support fake/copy Windows?

You're not going to find anyone at M-F to help you load illegal software, mate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB RAM, FinalCutStudio2
Not to mention they probably have ways of tracking your IP address so they will hunt you down. LOL

Just Kidding... But seriously.

JOsh

Reaction score
Just got my new iMac 20" and I want to begin installing my Parallels. My goal is to install my Home Ed Windows XP with Service Pack 1 from my Dell to run my sewing software and Quicken.

1) Am I spliting my Ram (1Gig) or creating a Virtual Drive on my HD?

2) Should I create a Slip disk to install my XP and Service Pack 2? Is this legal to do or must I purchase another new copy of Windows XP?

3) I want to keep everything VERY simple until I get everything up and running like it was on my PC.

4)Any suggestions for transferring files quickly from one computer to another?
I have been off my G4 for five years and things change very quickly.

5) I am 67years old so KISS (Keep It Simple, Sweety!)

Many blessings on you all for this excellent forum!

Granny Bear

Reaction score
Whoops! One other question...what format do I use? I don't know what Fat means or all of that stuff.

Granny Bear

Reaction score
I have since fall 2006, been running Windows XP Professional on Boot Camp. Now I have upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium, still on Boot Camp.

The installation was a piece of cake, but now I have a problem with some of the drivers.

Does anybody know were I can get these drivers...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
its a problem with Vista probably....I have spoken to several techs that said its the worst OS ever...that they should have tested it for at least 2 more years before releasing....but that is Windows for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz Intel dual-core, 256MB video card, 1GB RAM, 60GB black iPod Video
Is it easy to change the size of the Windows partition for Bootcamp when necessary? I don't want to devote more of my HD to Windows than necessary, but I want to be able to expand if I get more games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Where can I get a Windows XP disc that I can use to install on a mac with bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(White), 2.16Ghz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM Scorpio HD, Intel GMA 950
You need to get a version that is one disc/DVD.

Does anybody know how to make the backlight turn off when I close the lid in bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
hey there, is there a free version of macdrive apart from the trial? im running Vista and Tiger on my macbook pro

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video (30GB). iPhone 3G 8GB. 13" Unibody MacBook 2.4ghz.
Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I've been thinking about getting a macbook pro for some time now and i've looked into boot camp and i've found video and user comments showing that a macbook pro runs games faster than windows pc with the same or even better hardware. Is this true and if so, why?

also, i have a copy of xp that came with my dell a couple years ago. the disk allowed me to install when i formatted my harddrive so i am assuming yes.

thanks in advance. can't wait to get a mac :)

Reaction score
Bootleg Vistas are full of viruses, from what I've heard, as well as being illegal. Best avoided.
***. Amazing.

Whats the alternative, PAY for software??? o.0

If you want to get a disk of Vista or XP just torrent a cracked one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I've been thinking about getting a macbook pro for some time now and i've looked into boot camp and i've found video and user comments showing that a macbook pro runs games faster than windows pc with the same or even better hardware. Is this true and if so, why?

also, i have a copy of xp that came with my dell a couple years ago. the disk allowed me to install when i formatted my harddrive so i am assuming yes.

thanks in advance. can't wait to get a mac :)

I know this thread is older but, dell XP cd-roms will only install on Dell hardware. Don't ask me how they do it but it is true. You will need a non-OEM or "retail" XP SP2 cd-rom.

Reaction score
XP installing problem

Hi all. I'm new here. But I have a question that maybe you guys could answer. I have a Macbook Pro. I've used Bootcamp before to put Windows Vista on my Mac. It worked just fine but I decided I didn't like Vista, so I took it off. But now I want to get XP on there. I have Bootcamp and such. But the problem is the XP part. I can get free software through a program at my university and they have Windows XP with SP2, but it's a single user iso image. I've downloaded and burned this to a disk, but it downloaded as a .exe file. So when I use Bootcamp and try to install XP, it doesn't auto-run. So basically what I'm asking is, how do I get XP to start the installation process?

Reaction score
I'm completely clueless and stupid. If I buy this, is that all I need to run word on the mac, or do I need to download something else? Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here. But I have a question that maybe you guys could answer. I have a Macbook Pro. I've used Bootcamp before to put Windows Vista on my Mac. It worked just fine but I decided I didn't like Vista, so I took it off. But now I want to get XP on there. I have Bootcamp and such. But the problem is the XP part. I can get free software through a program at my university and they have Windows XP with SP2, but it's a single user iso image. I've downloaded and burned this to a disk, but it downloaded as a .exe file. So when I use Bootcamp and try to install XP, it doesn't auto-run. So basically what I'm asking is, how do I get XP to start the installation process?
Are you d/l'ing these copies from an MSDN Education agreement? Typically, when you click to d/l something on MSDN, it will download a .exe file that will act as the download manager for the software you are trying to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.4.10 MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
CrossOver Mac ???

CrossOver Mac (Intel Only)

An app that lets you install and run Windows applications without Windows. Copy of Windows is not required.

Pros: Low price/free, Do not have to purchase a copy of Windows
Cons: You don't have Windows

http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxmac/
Hmmmmmmmm, so according to this if I ONLY wanted to run Windows Live Messenger < Windows Version > I would ONLY need this CrossOver Mac Program? Without installing XP?
Please Correct Me if I'm wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.