Retrieve music from a 2005 4gb iPod?

Reaction score
I have the power cord to charge it, but I no longer have a Mac and the input is not a USB and doesn't match anything I have. Is it possible to get a connector to help me plug it and download before I recycle? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Your iPod is likely a click wheel iPod. It can be plugged into a Mac or PC with the proper cord. But it doesn't really matter because you can't download music or anything from the iPod without special software. Probably not worth the effort.

Just so you know.... those old iPods sell for quite a bit on eBay. So before you recycle perhaps you can sell it and make some $$.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the response. It is one of the click wheel iPods. I appreciate the context.

As it turns out, I had the original CD software that came with the Mini. I would like to try to plug it into my laptop (which is a PC). Do you know what type of adaptor I would need to connect to a standard USB? I am attaching a photo of the charger.

Attachments

• 20220213_130410.jpg
    20220213_130410.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure one of our members will recognize the charger and perhaps offer a solution for an adapter. From my memory, I think that the charger cable you show plugged into a sort of stand supplied by Apple which then could be attached to a Mac or PC.

As I stated above, if you are not successful in finding an adapter, you should be able to sell the iPod on eBay as they are popular.

Perhaps this will help:

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you! I was able to find a vendor on ebay who helped me find the right cord. thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
@chscag
I got the right charger. It's working and my laptop recognized it when I had iTunes open. Problem is when I asked iTunes to look at the iPod, it asked me to reset to factory settings. I don't want to do that because the iPod has a bunch of music on it that I don't have otherwise.

What is the special software I would have to use to get the music off? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the special software I would have to use to get the music off? Thank you.
It's called "iMazing 2" and you can download it from here:

I don't know if they have a trial period that you can use it for free. It works well and will transfer your music from the iPod to your PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.