Resurrected a dead 3.5-inch external hard drive

krs

Reaction score
Just a short story to possibly inspire someone else to not give up when a hard drive fails.

I have two older 3.5 Western Digital 1.5 TB hard drives (WD15EADS), each mounted in a very nice aluminum enclosure with a FW400, two FW800, an eSATA and a USB 2.0 port.
Both have backed up files from years ago - one of these I use occasionally to ceck some information on it, the other one I haven't had connected to the Mac or to power for probably a few years.
A fedays ago I wanted some data from the drive I hadn't looked at, plugged in the FW800 interface, powred upthe external.....nothing.
The units have an external 5/12 volt power brick, the light in the power brick turned off when I switch on power on the external.
On the other identical external the power light stayed on - so it seemed the enclosure of the drive that wasn't working presented a short or low impedance to the power brick.
OK - these were separate enclosures I had bought for these drives and I have had the SATA interface board on external enclosures become defective before.
No problem since I had the second drive with even the same enclosure, so I switched drives. Still the same problem.
I put the good drive into the, what I thought was the defective enclosure - it showed up fine on the desktop.
So the hard drive itself went belly up.
Hmmm......normally I would just get rid of the drive - I checked the date, 2009, can't complain about an 11-year old drive giving up the ghost.
But I had some old files I hadn't backed up anywhere else,files that were nice to have, but not essential, so I decided to spend a little more time to dig deeper.
When I powered up the defective drive I could feel that the platters were not spinning - so the problem wasn't necessarily a head crash.
Problem was either that the motor was seized just sitting for several years - that sounded like a real possibility, or the motor had somehow become defective, unlikely just sitting at my desk, or the controller board ad become defective -
So I got out my meter and did a few measurements. motor impedances seem ok, but no power to the motor.
Can't test for a seized up motor anyway or replace it if that is the problem, but I did have the drive controller board from the good drive to swap.
So did that - and success!

Sort of interesting, trying to think back, it seems for all the defective externals I have had, the problem was always the enclosure interface or now the drive controller interface, not the mechanical part of the drive itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.